The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Guest sibon
Yes.

Wow, I think we've discovered the Council's lack of understanding to retail in the city.

What? A bloke on an internet forum who isn't bothered about chuggers?

There are loads of those around.

You do know that Planner1 isn't anything to do with SCC, don't you? Or is this another "Leeds council is Tory" moment?

What? A bloke on an internet forum who isn't bothered about chuggers?

There are loads of those around.

You do know that Planner1 isn't anything to do with SCC, don't you? Or is this another "Leeds council is Tory" moment?

He used to be didn't he. That many people on here claiming random things it is difficult to keep track.

Guest sibon
He used to be didn't he. That many people on here claiming random things it is difficult to keep track.

He's had nothing to do with SCC for years.

You need to do a bit more research before making yourself look silly.

What if that building really is in need of replacing, from a structural point of view, as seems to be the suggestion by the experts?

What if that building really is in need of replacing, from a structural point of view, as seems to be the suggestion by the experts?

Think he's from the planning company

may have something of a vested interest don't you think:suspect:

in fact have a google at the company Now Director of Planning at Coda, Adam is working on a wide variety of projects across the UK, including; a large retail superstore in Sheffield.................hmm could that be D st???

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 00:18 ----------

expert :hihi:

Edited by Parvo

Are you seriously suggesting that significant numbers of people will drive four miles to Meadowhall to avoid having to say "no thanks" to a charity collector?

If the rumours of the parking problems at Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall are to be believed it would seem significant numbers of people avoid the city centre for a whole host of reasons. Perhaps it would be a good idea for our captains of the city to do something about these trends rather than making excuses. Of course if you live in Rotherham or Darnal you have to drive four miles to avoid Meadowhall to get to the City, and if you live in Mosborough you have to drive 4 miles beyond Crystal Peaks to get to the city. Perhaps the planners missed that.

Edited by Scabbydog

If the rumours of the parking problems at Crystal Peaks and Meadowhall are to be believed it would seem significant numbers of people avoid the city centre for a whole host of reasons. Perhaps it would be a good idea for our captains of the city to do something about these trends rather than making excuses. Of course if you live in Rotherham or Darnal you have to drive four miles to avoid Meadowhall to get to the City, and if you live in Mosborough you have to drive 4 miles beyond Crystal Peaks to get to the city. Perhaps the planners missed that.

And what exactly do you think should be done then?

Meadowhall and Crystal Peaks are well established out of town shopping centres. People find them convenient and want to shop there. What exactly do you think the " captains of the city " can do about that?

I Of course if you live in Rotherham or Darnal you have to drive four miles to avoid Meadowhall to get to the City, and if you live in Mosborough you have to drive 4 miles beyond Crystal Peaks to get to the city. Perhaps the planners missed that.

If you have to avoid Meadowhall to get into the city from Darnall then the geography of Sheffield has changed beyond recognition.

The mistake and resulting demise of Sheffield city centre was not building Meadowhall....but where they built it.

Cardiff had the right idea with St David's centre, built in the city centre.

Imagine that built on the Moor.

Out of town shopping centres and pedestrianisation of the centre of Sheffield was a big mistake.

Edited by Allen

Out of town shopping centres and pedestrianisation of the centre of Sheffield was a big mistake.

It's generally brownfield sites and cheaper than building in the city centre, plus there's more space

Seriously, is anyone really surprised. As mentioned the ridiculous costs of parking in the town centre.....excuse me but I'm driving into town to spend money but I'm supposed to pay for that privilege too! Then add the shops astronomical overheads i.e Rates, Rent, wages, Heating, Lights, Stock.....etc etc.

Now consider I sit at home with my car on my drive, cup of coffee in one hand and tablet in the the other. Bargains galore all delivered within a few days too.

I agree the romantic view that nostalgia brings is lovely but times move on and there's not much we can do about it.