The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Pedestrianisation was one of the worst things to happen to Sheffield.

As a result (as of today) we now have Jehovah's Witnesses, Truth About Islam, charity collectors, Big Issue sellers all lining up to stop people as they walk down Moor / Fargate.

BI sellers and JWs are all over the place - Waitrose, Surrey Street, Peace Gardens, Division Street, train station, etc. Where they are has nothing to do with pedestrianisation.

BI sellers and JWs are all over the place - Waitrose, Surrey Street, Peace Gardens, Division Street, train station, etc. Where they are has nothing to do with pedestrianisation.

You're partly right but pedestrianisation makes places difficult to reach

Partly right? He's absolutely right. The charity collectors would be there irrespective of whether an area is pedestrianized or not.

Pedestrianisation will make places easier to access on foot. Remember we are all pedestrians when we get out of the car.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 10:01 ----------

I am not knocking any of the causes but people come to the city centre to shop, not donate money. Is it any wonder why so many go to Meadowhall where these things are not allowed?

Are you seriously suggesting that significant numbers of people will drive four miles to Meadowhall to avoid having to say "no thanks" to a charity collector?

Buses stop at the top and bottom of Fargate. There is also a big tram stop there called Cathedral. Buses also stop at the top and bottom of the Moor.

I can't see how you can possibly say they're difficult to access.

The problem with Sheffield pedestrianised areas and why they are so quiet and eerie at night is due to the lack of nightlife on them.

The cinema complex if it happens will make the Moor a much more pleasant place at night.

And hopefully with people being around we might see cafe's opening later and then maybe even retail staying open beyond 6.

I do find it a bit disappointing when on a Friday I sometimes hang about in town straight from work, waiting for my mates to arrive. And at 6pm everything except restaurants and pubs has closed.

Partly right? He's absolutely right. The charity collectors would be there irrespective of whether an area is pedestrianized or not.

Pedestrianisation will make places easier to access on foot. Remember we are all pedestrians when we get out of the car.

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 10:01 ----------

Are you seriously suggesting that significant numbers of people will drive four miles to Meadowhall to avoid having to say "no thanks" to a charity collector?

Meadowhall can be just as bad, try and walk past that soap/whatever place near the bottom of the escalators without them trying to accost you for a free facial or whatever.

Meadowhall can be just as bad, try and walk past that soap/whatever place near the bottom of the escalators without them trying to accost you for a free facial or whatever.

I was even stopped by a Red Cross chugger in WH Smiths at MeadowHell, you are safe nowhere.

I was even stopped by a Red Cross chugger in WH Smiths at MeadowHell, you are safe nowhere.

Sky hawkers in Meadowhall as well...

I have to say the addition of all the new restaurants around the Peace gardens has really added some much needed life to the area. Went to Smoke Barbecue on Sat night and it was superb.

I have to say the addition of all the new restaurants around the Peace gardens has really added some much needed life to the area. Went to Smoke Barbecue on Sat night and it was superb.

I agree the area near the peace gardens is the most improved area in Sheffield, but as a shopping destination Sheffield city centre would be low down in a list of city centres in UK. In terms of restaurants we do probably hold our own in that respect.

The council has to look at lowering business rates for the empty shops.

Yes.

Wow, I think we've discovered the Council's lack of understanding to retail in the city.