The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Hey that's a nice list.

Starts with the Alexandra. Isn't that student flats.

Whats the beer like in the cannon these days

Get to Liverpool and try the Fly in the Loaf, the Baltic Fleet, The Philharmonic, The Dispensary Ye Cracke, The Grapes, The Roscoe Head, Thomas Rigby's. Loads more proper city centre traditional boozers. Not a list of closed down places and out of town dispensers of Carling.

They even have a pub with a listed gents toilet.

Sheffield has some great pubs but they are at Kelham Island or at Heeley or Crookes. They aren't in the city center.

Edited by postagestamp

At sheff1johnny for refusing to recognise what I quoted in your post.

Phew! ;) I was worried I was going to have to explain myself for a second.

To be fair, I'll take this opportunity to say that I can understand how some of the older generation on this forum remember a city centre full of all the life, retail, jobs, pubs etc. that went on in Sheffield, long before economic decline and the birth of Meadowhall came along and turned Sheffield in to something of a ghost town.

So maybe the problem here is relative; they see a wonderful (rose-tinted?) Sheffield of the 60s and 70s and compare it to what feels more like a town centre today.

Whereas I (I came to Uni in 2003) remember a so-so city centre, get worse as we moved towards 2010-2012, before recently starting to pick up a lot more. To me, the number of new buildings, new retail space, new pubs and bars (leopold square eg) hark back to before the 2007 recession hit - to suggest this isn't an upward trend, let alone to further suggest it is a downward trend, seems madness to me.

Another problem of course, is that two many people equate 'quality of the City Centre' with the retail offering alone...

Sheffield City Centre is in serious decline. If John Lewis ever closed we might as well shut up shop completely. I went down the Moor today and I was appalled. Poor quality shops with very little choice. Even the shops which should be ok were not:

Debenhams lacked appeal, Atkinsons was dull and didn't have the range of goods. Empty shops all round and in the Market, there seemed to be more stalls empty than open. Sheffield is dirty, run down in need of major investment. With two first class universities I would have thought we could do better. Sheffield should be thriving but it's not! What has gone wrong?

The Moor is a ghost town every night because it is full of SHOPS! The same as any other town or city centre street that is exclusively full of SHOPS.

Torquay totally pedestrianised its main shopping thoroughfare, Fleet Street. This rapidly became a no go area at night as it was deserted. They then moved the buses back in along narrow carriageways with a strict speed limit. Fleet Street is once again a thoroughfare that is not threatening late at night. Pedestrianisation kills city centres and turns them into forbidding thoroughfares after dark. Take the buses back down the Moor in a similar way Torquay have done, bring life back into the Moor.

Sheffield City Centre is UPHILL n DOWNHILL....so if a planned indoor retail shopping centre is designed it will obviously incorporate EXCALATORS to provide level walking areas on each floor..BE AWESOME.

Hey that's a nice list.

Starts with the Alexandra. Isn't that student flats.

Whats the beer like in the cannon these days

Get to Liverpool and try the Fly in the Loaf, the Baltic Fleet, The Philharmonic, The Dispensary Ye Cracke, The Grapes, The Roscoe Head, Thomas Rigby's. Loads more proper city centre traditional boozers. Not a list of closed down places and out of town dispensers of Carling.

They even have a pub with a listed gents toilet.

Sheffield has some great pubs but they are at Kelham Island or at Heeley or Crookes. They aren't in the city center.

Not my list, just a quick Google.

So you list 9 in Liverpool - last time I looked 9 wasn't dozens /fail

Primark are moving because the council want to move big retail away from the markets area. They recognise the blindingly obvious in that Sheffield's retail area is far too large, all those empty units can be used for something else like offices or flats. I don't think we'll get any new big name shops until the council can persuade a developer to pickup the ashes of Sevenstone.

And yet they are still trying to press forward with the Sevenstone project which, as far as I can see, is just city centre expansion. Sheffield needs to get rid of the tat, condense the shopping area or fill it out with bars and restaurants meybe even grid it, provide better road access with free parking, improve public transport links and do away with large pedestrian areas or at least have them hanging off a road

Torquay totally pedestrianised its main shopping thoroughfare, Fleet Street. This rapidly became a no go area at night as it was deserted. They then moved the buses back in along narrow carriageways with a strict speed limit. Fleet Street is once again a thoroughfare that is not threatening late at night. Pedestrianisation kills city centres and turns them into forbidding thoroughfares after dark. Take the buses back down the Moor in a similar way Torquay have done, bring life back into the Moor.

The rush to pedestrianise the City centre helped to kill it especially the Moor.

What planners in Sheffield [long term] seem to forget is that City's thrive on pavement life at all times of day or night .

By removing passing traffic from main through streets they have in effect removed the life that made those areas in the first place.

And then we look down the traditional Market area. Disaster!!!.

Recent councils have done more damage to the city centre than Adolf Hitler

And yet they are still trying to press forward with the Sevenstone project which, as far as I can see, is just city centre expansion. Sheffield needs to get rid of the tat, condense the shopping area or fill it out with bars and restaurants meybe even grid it, provide better road access with free parking, improve public transport links and do away with large pedestrian areas or at least have them hanging off a road

The Sevenstone development would provide modern facilities in the city centre which are few and far between.

As for removing the pedestrianisation, with the Manpower building at the top of the Moor the road doesn't go anywhere, why would we send buses up there? Aside from that the buskers, markets and other entertainment we get on the moor and fargate make for a good atmosphere and bring variety to the city centre. Would they still come if they were moved away from the main shopping streets?

The Sevenstone development would provide modern facilities in the city centre which are few and far between.

As for removing the pedestrianisation, with the Manpower building at the top of the Moor the road doesn't go anywhere, why would we send buses up there? Aside from that the buskers, markets and other entertainment we get on the moor and fargate make for a good atmosphere and bring variety to the city centre. Would they still come if they were moved away from the main shopping streets?

They've moved it !!! thank god for that.

Pedestrianisation was one of the worst things to happen to Sheffield.

As a result (as of today) we now have Jehovah's Witnesses, Truth About Islam, charity collectors, Big Issue sellers all lining up to stop people as they walk down Moor / Fargate.

I am not knocking any of the causes but people come to the city centre to shop, not donate money. Is it any wonder why so many go to Meadowhall where these things are not allowed?