Local Junior Football team withdraws after papers report heavy loss

I once had the misfortune to be present at one of the meetings where a local children's football team where making decisions for the next season.

The former coach retired, appointed a new coach and the rest of the evening the parents spent making covert representations in the car park and elsewhere (or brown nosing as is commonly known) to this new person, as to why their son should be selected. Being party to a few of these conversations, parents felt their child merited a place above other children because they lived in the "village". The same "village" the newly appointed coach lived in.

That aside, I think there's a good case for disbanding junior leagues altogether. It brings out the worst in too many adults and has proven not to be a good nursery from which talent is nurtured and rises to the surface.

Thanks for posting.

Sad to hear how 11 and 12 year olds are going to get grief at school because the modern media thinks its in the public interest to name and shame a kids team getting turned over.

No wonder we struggle at developing decent young footballers and lots drop out of the game. Making a big deal out of a team getting tonked is just so unbelievably counterproductive.

The first few comments on this thread also reinforce that.

Well I dont blame the kids for being demoralised, its not as if the team withdrew from the League in a huff - they just didn't have enough players!

Kids football is crazy these days. They come up with all these ideas on how to make the England football team, possible world champions, to me they need to start with these youngsters. My idea is that there are no leagues or results until they are at under 16 age group, this gives the coaches a chance to COACH the game of football, without worrying about winning the league or cup. I coach Handsworth under 11s (a club where, unfortunately, winning does matter) my philosophy is to help develop the kids into better footballers, not to bludgeon teams into a 37-0 defeat. If my team look like getting a high score, I suggest, rather than going for goals, they are better off trying to keep the ball and move it quickly, no one from either side takes anything from a 37-0 game and shame on the opposition manager for allowing it to get to that score. Unfortunately whilst we have leagues and managers/parents who insist on winning at all costs, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

Kids football is crazy these days. They come up with all these ideas on how to make the England football team, possible world champions, to me they need to start with these youngsters. My idea is that there are no leagues or results until they are at under 16 age group, this gives the coaches a chance to COACH the game of football, without worrying about winning the league or cup. I coach Handsworth under 11s (a club where, unfortunately, winning does matter) my philosophy is to help develop the kids into better footballers, not to bludgeon teams into a 37-0 defeat. If my team look like getting a high score, I suggest, rather than going for goals, they are better off trying to keep the ball and move it quickly, no one from either side takes anything from a 37-0 game and shame on the opposition manager for allowing it to get to that score. Unfortunately whilst we have leagues and managers/parents who insist on winning at all costs, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

My thoughts exactly - see above. Too many young kids feel they are confined to the scrap heap who would probably make great players if they were allowed to develop at their own pace, rather than this rigmarole they have to go through, and the ones that aren't confined to the scrap heap become disillusioned when they've played their best but get grief if they lose. It's crazy at that age. It needs to change.

Kids are never too young to learn about how disappointing life can be.

One of the last paragraphs of the withdrawal email says this;

My apologizes to the league and the teams in Division D Green for having little choice in withdrawing and we wish them all the best of luck for the remainder of the season yes inc Phoenix Youth - education is vital team and individual challenges would have stopped the disgusting scoreline last weekend and it would have gone along way in restoring faith and respect within the grassroots game.

I don't understand what the bit in bold means though, any ideas anyone?

Its a good job these kids never got to academy standard because they would walk away every week if all they want to do is win, I ran a junior football team for 12 years and we had good and bad games and got lots of goals put past us every now and again but you just have to get up and move on, every year there were always a team that lost every week usually by a decent margin but can never remember any quitting

Unfortunately whilst we have leagues and managers/parents who insist on winning at all costs, this sort of thing will continue to happen.

I agree with no leagues. Rugby and Hockey seem to treat junior fixtures more like friendlies.

I would like to see all junior schools have a football team - A and B side for each year group. More training, less fixtures. There is so much emphasis on football at secondary schools. If they are good at 11+ then send them to Academy.

Is the team in the right age group for the majority of players. I know it has been league policy for many many years never to publish results were over 21 goals wete scored on one side. These usually appeared in the Star and when the result was sent in from the league offical it stopped at 21 when below under 10 started results were never published by the league.

37 nil or 137 nil, why on earth does it matter. That's the big problem these days, little billy and his mates are not allowed to be failures, at any thing. Get them back on the pitch, tell them to man up and get stuck in, it will benefit them in the long run.

Oh, and the wazzok who pulled them from the league, he/she needs to man up also and get a grip.

Angel1.