Local Junior Football team withdraws after papers report heavy loss

Shame on the Rotherham advertiser and The Sun for reporting a Junior Football teams heavy loss, leading to the team leaving the league.

Haven't they got any sense of decency by realising the humiliation this will cause the lads involved.

Note teams not mentioned here intentionally.

Hang on. They report a football result and so the team throw a strop and leave? Really?

---------- Post added 15-03-2015 at 19:54 ----------

I cant find it anywhere but was it as bad as this loss?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/jul/10/nigeria-football-team-79-0-heavy-defeats

What next? All games must end in a 0-0 draw to ensure the children don't face the emotional trauma of losing a match?

Whoever engineered the team leaving the league should be gotten rid of. What a weak response to a loss.

Moving up a league or moving down a league has a great deal of emotion attached at such a young age and do need support in demonstrating, nurturing and growing positive behaviour. When the young lads move up a league they soon come down to the ground when the level of play is that much more competitive.

Club leaders carry the can for everything which could be a few individuals and with not being able to offer the support required which should come from the players families will crumble under the pressure and so the only alternative is to leave the league (not disband the team).

All results from U11 upwards are on the junior league website for all to see too. It's not unusual for results to be published.

How old were these kids?

Under13s Ibelieve

All results from U11 upwards are on the junior league website for all to see too. It's not unusual for results to be published.

From what I read it's not the publishing of the score and more the reporting of the game in newspapers that was the problem

The article on Twitter didn't look in bad taste, just a generalisation of results. I won't copy the link as there are quite a few teams and kids names mentioned.

In my day, when we got tonked at footy we tried a lot harder next game. I didnt expect my parents & club officials to start crying to everyone because telling people we got tonked might create broken children.

Someone needs to get a grip

Well, they did lose 37-0 which is quite spectacular and no wonder it made the press. It's a shame the kids weren't given more encouragement to keep going, as the letter from the club secretary seems to be blaming both the press and the kids themselves without the coach taking any responsibility.

Not sure of his parting shot to the league either; 'education is vital team and individual challenges would have stopped the disgusting scoreline last weekend and it would have gone along way in restoring faith and respect within the grassroots game'. Who is he trying to blame there? I couldn't fathom it.

Shame they lost so badly, more of a shame that these kids have learnt that in the face of defeat you walk away with your tail between your legs rather than fighting on.