Matrix message on parkway tonight

Various studies have shown that when driving conditions become difficult perhaps because of severe congestion or incidents, the highway network operates better when drivers are given more information, so they can make informed decisions on changing their intended route.

You see them in most major cities and on most motorways these days.

And that is what they should be used for, not giving out council policy or causing controversy as the latest daft dieselgate one has.

But since traffic congestion and incidents are not a constant thing, isn't it cost effective to use the signs for other messages at other times?

But since traffic congestion and incidents are not a constant thing, isn't it cost effective to use the signs for other messages at other times?

Perhaps the council could share with other groups who wish to get a message across[ political or not].

Thats democracy int it!

They could recoup the running costs by selling time to display advertising messages when the sign isn't doing anything else.

The signs were paid for by an EU grant

The signs were paid for by taxpayers.

They could recoup the running costs by selling time to display advertising messages when the sign isn't doing anything else.

There are regualtions they have to adhere to which preclude that type of use.

Various studies have shown that when driving conditions become difficult perhaps because of severe congestion or incidents, the highway network operates better when drivers are given more information, so they can make informed decisions on changing their intended route.

You see them in most major cities and on most motorways these days.

Which is what they should be used for, not SCC Orwellian style newspeak.

I can't remember the last traffic information message on any of the signs.

Ones round here regularly warn you of roadworks & sporting events. I find them useful because I didn't know that there was a marathon in Liverpool next Sunday. Seeing the advance warning means I can use the other tunnel and avoid the city centre.

This Council needs a right kick up the back side!!!!! so incompetent it's unreal.

Never going to happen when people have opinions such as this:

Even though I will always vote Labour...

The signs were procured by competitive tender which was let by the project partners in accordance with EU rules and their own procurement processes.

So its EU money, provided by us, and then wasted by our council.

The winning bidders have no relationship with the funding body.

Why did I know we'd be told that ......and of course I would expect to be told nothing different.

Edited by Tommo68

Guest sibon

Why did I know we'd be told that ......and of course I would expect to be told nothing different.

Do you know differently Tommo?

Post us some evidence if you have it. Otherwise, some people might just think that you are slinging mud:suspect:

That wouldn't do. Would it?

What are you insinuating? There was an open tender process and it was all audited by the EU's auditors.

How can a company who supplies transport electronics somehow have a "relationship" with the EU? The equipment is procured via the recipient's procurement processes, which always include an EU requirement to advertise tenders over a certain value to the whole of the EU.