Matrix message on parkway tonight

When are the council selling the mayor's Jag XJ and getting him a G-Wiz?

Some animals are more equal than others.

He could have a v8 petrol version, which, from what I gather from these messages, is more economical than my 2ltr Diesel :)

In fact, 6.3ltr Mercedes, here I come. I'm only following orders.

The last petrol powered heavy goods vehicle i saw was a bedford tk, part of a small fleet run by askeys haulage of middlewood road in the early seventies.At that time the only diesel they ran was an albion,i think,alloy bodied tipper that did the runcorn salt run.As far as i know all vans are now diesel,haven't seen a petrol one for years.

How many years are we paying for them?

There was a pretty bad accident on Penistone Rd sunday, so we were expecting the huge warning displays to be telling people further down the road of this disruption, to give drivers an opportunity to divert, or at least be aware.

No, we got 'Driving less means cleaner air'

Very useful.

The signs were paid for by an EU grant, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

For the signs to be used to provide information on an incident, operator intervention is required. The traffic control room isn't normally staffed on Sundays.

---------- Post added 24-03-2015 at 21:46 ----------

Yes I've seen this. Really weird. There is the fact that petrol engines are cleaner (even though modern diesel engines are much better than they used to be) but its not like you can just swap.

But you can think about it and consider it next time you swap vehicles. That is the idea of the messages

Well I've taken the trouble to check and the missing "e" was due to the particular cell of LED's running dim on that sign, so could not be seen easily.

The signs are several years old now and they do occasionally develop faults.

Is your 'council issued' clip board as large as those LED signs?

Is your 'council issued' clip board as large as those LED signs?

I don't have a clipboard actually. And what is that to do with this subject anyway?

For the signs to be used to provide information on an incident, operator intervention is required. The traffic control room isn't normally staffed on Sundays.

so why not switch them off to save-----------ENERGY:rant:

so why not switch them off to save-----------ENERGY:rant:

That is what happens when they are not in use for giving out public information messages. The amount of energy consumed by a few LED's isn't exactly large.

The signs were paid for by an EU grant, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

You appear to be well informed.

How much longer will the EU grant continue to pay for the maintenance and running costs of these signs?

Why did they award the grant in the first place when there appears to be any number of far more worthwhile causes the EU ought to be concerned with?

Who made and installed the signs and of course what connections, is any, do they have with the EU grant awarders?

You appear to be well informed.

How much longer will the EU grant continue to pay for the maintenance and running costs of these signs?

Why did they award the grant in the first place when there appears to be any number of far more worthwhile causes the EU ought to be concerned with?

Who made and installed the signs and of course what connections, is any, do they have with the EU grant awarders?

The EU grant paid for the purchase of the signs, not their running costs or maintenance, those are down to the Council.

The EU has many funding "pots" in it's budget of over 140 billion euros. These change over time according to the EU's priorities. Bidders have to meet very stringent criteria and all bids are closely scrutinised.

The four South Yorkshire local authorities, SYPTE and the Highways Agency collectively bid for and received around £10m of ERDF Objective 1 funding for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, which included the variable message signs. Anyone who felt they had a project which met the EU's criteria could have bid for money.

The signs were procured by competitive tender which was let by the project partners in accordance with EU rules and their own procurement processes. The winning bidders have no relationship with the funding body.

The EU grant paid for the purchase of the signs, not their running costs or maintenance, those are down to the Council.

The EU has many funding "pots" in it's budget of over 140 billion euros. These change over time according to the EU's priorities. Bidders have to meet very stringent criteria and all bids are closely scrutinised.

The four South Yorkshire local authorities, SYPTE and the Highways Agency collectively bid for and received around £10m of ERDF Objective 1 funding for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, which included the variable message signs. Anyone who felt they had a project which met the EU's criteria could have bid for money.

The signs were procured by competitive tender which was let by the project partners in accordance with EU rules and their own procurement processes. The winning bidders have no relationship with the funding body.

Put the words 'Sheffield Council' and 'Intelligent Transport System' in the same sentence, and you have a classic oxymoron.

These matrix message boards are a complete waste of time (working, or not).

God knows how much they cost, but is it worth any expense at all just to tell someone it'll take four minutes to travel down Ecclesall Road, 'Don't drink and drive', 'Football match on Saturday' or 'Use petrol, not diesel'.

On top of that, they look ugly and just add to the general untidiness on the streets, due to the proliferation of idiotic street furniture ... 'ERDF Objective 1' funding paper-pushing blessing, or not.

'EU rules' ... 'winning bidders' ... 'procurement processes' ... paper-pushing, tick-box, forelock tugging lunacy. :loopy:

These matrix message boards are a complete waste of time (working, or not).

Various studies have shown that when driving conditions become difficult perhaps because of severe congestion or incidents, the highway network operates better when drivers are given more information, so they can make informed decisions on changing their intended route.

You see them in most major cities and on most motorways these days.