Matrix message on parkway tonight

Guest sibon
Why not save tax payers money and electricity (and so pollution from the power station) by switching off these pointless messages, and saving the energy being used to power the matrix boards.

Ah, the power of Sheffield Forum. You'll be pleased with what I saw tonight.

The sign at West Bar currently reads "Be Energy Awar".

Well done to the council for coming up with a creative way to reduce their energy bill by 8% whilst still getting their message through.

Love it. even when trying to put a useless message out, they can't spell.

AWAR LMFAO

Where did I say that? Do remind me.

The newer traffic signals are LED based too, so don't cost much to run.

The government don't like the idea of traffic lights running part-time, so they have to be on 24/7.

And, while we are at it, there is no time of the day when there is no-one on the roads.

thats not true - the traffic lights at the roundabouts on St Marys Gate are on at peak times. They were not on at 7.25am this morning when i came through.

thats not true - the traffic lights at the roundabouts on St Marys Gate are on at peak times. They were not on at 7.25am this morning when i came through.

Clearly he was referring to those that are kept on all the time - "part time signals" are switched off for traffic flow reasons, not for saving electric.

They arent going to switch off the ones on the Park Sq roundabout at night, for example.

The message on the matrix near Matalan on way in to town tonight was "use petrol not diesel".

Exactly who is this aimed at?

Arsonists.

There are occasional exceptions to every rule. Those signals have been in place for many years. They manage flows on the entries to a roundabout, they don't actually manage conflicts like normal junction signals. The government allowed such signals to be part time at that time.

Nowadays. normal junction signals have to be on 24/7 as the government don't generally allow part time working for junction signals.

---------- Post added 20-03-2015 at 14:35 ----------

Love it. even when trying to put a useless message out, they can't spell.

AWAR LMFAO

More likely is that it's a sign fault and the part where the "e" should be isn't working.

--

More likely is that it's a sign fault and the part where the "e" should be isn't working.

If you knew how each character is made up on a matrix screen you would know that the letter e was/is missing because someone and the person who checks their work are incompetent or illiterate.

Besides surely the signs are too new to be developing faults, unless of course the council bought crap.... mmm on consideration that might be a possible explanation after all.

If you knew how each character is made up on a matrix screen you would know that the letter e was/is missing because someone and the person who checks their work are incompetent or illiterate.

Besides surely the signs are too new to be developing faults, unless of course the council bought crap.... mmm on consideration that might be a possible explanation after all.

Well I've taken the trouble to check and the missing "e" was due to the particular cell of LED's running dim on that sign, so could not be seen easily.

The signs are several years old now and they do occasionally develop faults.

Well I've taken the trouble to check and the missing "e" was due to the particular cell of LED's running dim on that sign, so could not be seen easily.

The signs are several years old now and they do occasionally develop faults.

How many years are we paying for them?

There was a pretty bad accident on Penistone Rd sunday, so we were expecting the huge warning displays to be telling people further down the road of this disruption, to give drivers an opportunity to divert, or at least be aware.

No, we got 'Driving less means cleaner air'

Very useful.

The message on the matrix near Matalan on way in to town tonight was "use petrol not diesel".

Exactly who is this aimed at?

I would guess many buses, taxis and lorries (and trains?) use diesel, can't see it prompting a mass change by private motorists to change their cars tomorrow promoting a total collapse of the second hand diesel car market and I would really recommend you don't put petrol in a diesel car.

Yes I've seen this. Really weird. There is the fact that petrol engines are cleaner (even though modern diesel engines are much better than they used to be) but its not like you can just swap.

When are the council selling the mayor's Jag XJ and getting him a G-Wiz?

Some animals are more equal than others.