River Don - Fishing

Unlike the trout stocked in dam flask the ones in ecco were only about 4" long!

Why would anybody want to put trout in a pond where fishing is legal all the year round?

Why would anybody want to put trout in a pond where fishing is legal all the year round?

This was at the time when the close season applied to stillwaters as well as rivers.

The trout season opened on 25th March so a fishery would only have to shut for 10 days instead of 3 months.

This was at the time when the close season applied to stillwaters as well as rivers.

The trout season opened on 25th March so a fishery would only have to shut for 10 days instead of 3 months.

Oh I see - thanks, didn't know that :D

There are Trout in Laurel and willows at lindholme, I could be wrong I think those fish get others interested in feeding when it's cold.. There are minuses in the way of when you do catch a Trout the small teeth invariably ruin your hook length.

Horrible fish.

my youngest son caught a 4lb rainbow on the pole at nethermill last autumn. very athletic fish & he was delighted with it. I was more impressed by how he handled the pole!!

Alf, the gov site is just a summary. The opening date is 25th on rivers in Yorkshire.

i may sound like a muppet for asking such questions but ive grown up with a "you dont ask you dont get" attitude.

whats the fishing like in the don?

where abouts is the best place for fishing in the don or sheffield?

can you take your catch home from the don?

thanks very much in advance

I have only fished the Don at Beeley Wood last time was around 20 yrs ago and it fished well back then with plenty of nice Roach.

As for taking fish from the river that's more than a little contentious, local bylaws would have to be checked. Bag and size limits have to be stuck to, also anglers who regularly fish anywhere would take umbrage to anyone taking fish, even if the law says you may be able to take one or two fish expect repercussions.

So if I were you I would expect to go with any fish I caught I would most probably be going for a swim.

there are good sections & bad sections all along the course of the river to be honest

years ago I used to be a member at tin mill, which allowed me to fish their stretch of river for grayling, but since the floods in 2007 I haven't been back

that said I have been thinking about rejoining, as there are a lot of good chub & barbel in their section & some real crabtree-like swims

I now fish it at beeley woods & up to oughtibridge throughout the winter - in fact I don't do much Stillwater fishing at all through the colder months, much prefer grayling & chub fishing when it's cold

In previous years I've also fished at the back of owlerton, although access these days is not great, and neepsend (club mill road used to be excellent where the river Loxley joins the don) but again, access is now restricted here (or it was last autumn when I went for a look)

other than that, the salmon pastures stretch looks very nice & is easily accessible, went for a look last year & there were a few people fishing down there so I would guess there are lots of fish around

regarding taking fish, there are restrictions on the numbers & sizes of fish you're allowed to remove & these are different for each individual species. I would echo Mr Hinks' statement, yes you're allowed to take them (provided they are above the legal size) but there are some anglers who don't like you doing that, they probably wouldn't care too much about the odd trout (I personally wouldn't do it myself, but then I'm not a fish lover, but I certainly wouldn't try to tell someone else not to take them), but if anyone starts to think about removing chub or barbel - I would imagine there would be some problems...

i may sound like a muppet for asking such questions but ive grown up with a "you dont ask you dont get" attitude.

whats the fishing like in the don?

where abouts is the best place for fishing in the don or sheffield?

can you take your catch home from the don?

thanks very much in advance

I fish the Don upstream of Hillsboro' and anywhere you can legally get to the water is good fishing for grayling, trout, the odd chub, barbel and dace. Also fished at back of dog track and its same there. Read a few posts on here and you'll see its the same from Stocksbridge all the way down to Meadowhall.

Lower down becomes normal coarse fishing- ie specimen barbel, chub, roach, bream etc.

I don't remove any fish at all so wouldn't recommend it. Leave them in for others to have sport with, is my view. There have been past threads concerning the purity of the Don around Sheffield esp mercury levels but I reckon you'd have top eat a lot of fish to be affected.

Would love to have a go at river fishing but would need to no what tackle I would need to get as I only no how to use a pole ( sometimes lol ) any tips on tackle bait and rivers around Sheffield for to have a go at