Local knuckle heads

Do you remember Lol Knight who liked to have a go at the law around about the 50s & 60s.

Yes I remember hearing of his reputation, don't think I ever saw him though.

He lived on Thornborough Rd near my cousins.

He had a brother who was really quiet think his name was Alan.

hazel

• 2 years later...

hi I remember lol night and his son david night also ray morgan, I was married to one of the keenans also know for there fighting but no where near on the scale of them above mention. One of my meetings of lol night & ray was 1 cold night around 1983/84 my hubby & me was walking up heelly green going towards wagon & horses pub as we almost reached corner of the pub the door flung open shortly followed by lol night landing on his arse. He immediately got up charged back in the pub after a min another fella came tumbling out of pub on his arse yep it was ray, followed by lol then they carried on fighting. All the pub came out to watch it was like king kong against godzilla both men very very fit big in bulk and new how to throw punches. Some smaller fights started and before you knew it every one was fighting include my hubby. In all the commotion I ended up beening knocked unconscious by one of lols punches. Hence I spent the night in hospital but I also end up with a broken toe?, Lol did say sorry a few weeks later but he was not wearing his teeth so was impossible to understand him, GO on feel me leg las he used to say there made of steel, and by heck there was bloody hard.

His son was very handsome blonde don’t remember him being a fighter but heard he died about 23 years or so go, he went to work away building I think got it to fight one night this bloke hit him once with a base ball/ or pick axe handle and that was it dead. My ex told me that lol had about 8 kids all over Sheffield don’t know how true that is.

Another night we was in the olive grove pub bottom of east bank road. There was about 30 in there & in walks lol night and out walk,s about 10 customers leaving there drinks behind, Lol was demanding a drink and had manged to lift the bar up from some of its bolts buy sheer force pushing the rest bar upaward, but the bar staff had gone into hiding landlord had ran upstairs. Lol went to the gents and trashed some of it, while another 10 customers legged it. leaving me my hubby & about 4 other mates. When he came back out he jumped over bar helped his self to a drink and poured us all one he even remembered most of our names, had a few packets of fags and a cigar. With in about 10 mins 8 police cars arrived and a black van there was around 15 police men. After one hell of a battle there managed to get him in a car but he punched out the sun roof stood up wearing a coppers hat while puffing on a cigar. Half the police had some sort of injury if not there uniforms wear torn or missing some sat trying to get there breath back. I heard lol had died few years ago he be about 70ish.But he always looked really old to me.

Am pretty sure it was Ray morgan that scared the **** out of me I think it was the scares on his face and that stare he gave. But in a very rough way he was strangely attractive. But I was only 17/20 at the time which would have been around 1980 -1986, He was married or lived with one of my ex hubby BEING David Keenan, mates Paul & mick Marshall sister, don’t recall her name but she was a stunning short haired blonde, We went drinking with them a now and again but he still scared me, We spent one new years eve at his flat when he lived on Norfolk park I can just about remember him trying to hang some poor bloke one over the balcony by his feet we was about 10 floors up. We was all screaming at him the lad was ok but he was pretty shock up like we was. One hung from ray was awful he would crush you and this was a friendly hug I also recall he was always trying to sell gold.

A fews years back I was talking to my dad about him and he told me a funny story, my dad used to run building sites and this massive hard looking man came for a job as a hob carrier one day. My dad had no idea who he was not being a drinking man but more of church going gave him a job. Said his name was ray morgan any ways after about two weeks dad notice that one day he would check in at about 8am but around 11am he be gone and not seen again until around 3pm. But the next day he not be seen until 11am and be gone around 2pm?????. So dad followed him one day he was working on another building site about a mile up the road cheeky thing which meant he was claiming two wagers. Dad being 5ft nothing and around 9 stone nothing and a not a fighting man confronted him in-front of all the site workers. Told him he could only work at one place ray was taken back by this as nobody had ever stood up to him this earned my dad rays respected . But when the others told him about his reputation etc my dad felt quite sick.

Am pretty sure it was Ray morgan that scared the **** out of me I think it was the scares on his face and that stare he gave. But in a very rough way he was strangely attractive. But I was only 17/20 at the time which would have been around 1980 -1986, He was married or lived with one of my ex hubby BEING David Keenan, mates Paul & mick Marshall sister, don’t recall her name but she was a stunning short haired blonde, We went drinking with them a now and again but he still scared me, We spent one new years eve at his flat when he lived on Norfolk park I can just about remember him trying to hang some poor bloke one over the balcony by his feet we was about 10 floors up. We was all screaming at him the lad was ok but he was pretty shock up like we was. One hung from ray was awful he would crush you and this was a friendly hug I also recall he was always trying to sell gold.

A fews years back I was talking to my dad about him and he told me a funny story, my dad used to run building sites and this massive hard looking man came for a job as a hob carrier one day. My dad had no idea who he was not being a drinking man but more of church going gave him a job. Said his name was ray morgan any ways after about two weeks dad notice that one day he would check in at about 8am but around 11am he be gone and not seen again until around 3pm. But the next day he not be seen until 11am and be gone around 2pm?????. So dad followed him one day he was working on another building site about a mile up the road cheeky thing which meant he was claiming two wagers. Dad being 5ft nothing and around 9 stone nothing and a not a fighting man confronted him in-front of all the site workers. Told him he could only work at one place ray was taken back by this as nobody had ever stood up to him this earned my dad rays respected . But when the others told him about his reputation etc my dad felt quite sick.

Raymond Morgon lived with his wife Glyniss at the time you describe, the man you are describing sounds like mick crich.

FOR THE OP.

Ray now lives at shortferry.

Dennis still lives in sheffield.

I also knewsome of the old keenans.

ALEC, JEAN, PETER.

Edited by alex3659

ummm I always thought mick crich was stabbed to death by his girlfriend around the same time I only met mick twice briefly, once was in a pub in town think it was called brown cow opposite to the old courts and next to old Co,op, we used to drink down stairs there but you needed your wits about you it was a hell hole full of hard heads. And next time was in the wagon and horse,s at heelly green him and his mates came a had a game of pool with my ex David Keenan and his brother Ian keenan ,He had on one of them long trench coats could have been leather, jeans cowboy boots & his hair was longish blonde or mousey quite a looker,And he was carrying some sort of shooter in his coat was really long could have been a air pistol ? he was playing pool with it. I may have rays name wrong he could have been Ray Shackleton or somthing else am not sure.But I know he was still alive at least 10 years after the mick crich was dead ( if i have right name ).i saw him in pub one night resting on the bar.

As to keenans the older ones where paddy his brother william both painters both dead & sis Katherine she was disabled.

From William from his 1st marriage to mary was David my x his brothers phil (dead) & Ian nick named killer there was 4 sisters aswell 1 died.

There mush have been another brother to william because I remember cusions tommy blonde a real looker, paul & two others could have been peter or alex.

happy times

ummm I always thought mick crich was stabbed to death by his girlfriend around the same time I only met mick twice briefly, once was in a pub in town think it was called brown cow opposite to the old courts and next to old Co,op, we used to drink down stairs there but you needed your wits about you it was a hell hole full of hard heads. And next time was in the wagon and horse,s at heelly green him and his mates came a had a game of pool with my ex David Keenan and his brother Ian keenan ,He had on one of them long trench coats could have been leather, jeans cowboy boots & his hair was longish blonde or mousey quite a looker,And he was carrying some sort of shooter in his coat was really long could have been a air pistol ? he was playing pool with it. I may have rays name wrong he could have been Ray Shackleton or somthing else am not sure.But I know he was still alive at least 10 years after the mick crich was dead ( if i have right name ).i saw him in pub one night resting on the bar.

As to keenans the older ones where paddy his brother william both painters both dead & sis Katherine she was disabled.

From William from his 1st marriage to mary was David my x his brothers phil (dead) & Ian nick named killer there was 4 sisters aswell 1 died.

There mush have been another brother to william because I remember cusions tommy blonde a real looker, paul & two others could have been peter or alex.

happy times

The pub next to the co-op is the cannon.

I was with mick crich the night he died.

Alec Keenan owned a painting business in the 70's