Local knuckle heads

Does anyone remember Pat Morrell, scrap dealer ?

Rather large fella? had a place at Chapeltown?

u

Hi Mandy

I knew both brothers, John socially, Bob through work. I last spoke to Bob about 20 years ago at the Manvers Site of the Uni of Sheffield where he was working as a Nurse Lecturer, as you say, he was a good man. I first worked with him in 1977.

How old was Bob when he died, I believe he was about 12 months younger than me ?

RIP John and Bob

He was 56 and had been ill for some time, too young to go.....

Rather large fella? had a place at Chapeltown?

I remember Pat & Harold his brother.... think there was also a third brother

I remember Pat & Harold his brother.... think there was also a third brother

Yes. There was Pat, Harold, Lawrence, Frank and Jackie. They came from Shiregreen, then moved to Ecclesfield

Pat had the farmhouse at the bottom of nether lane Ecclesfield and horses at grenoside.

Hi Dennis Hobson started of as a roof tiler worked with Ernest nick name polly that worked for bill Goddard he then worked with Harold vintners on scrap  in 62 I worked down attercliffe on roofs after a big gale wind   That’s when I first talked to him found him a very good bloke I came across most of the hard men I found Dennis the best to talk to great sense of humour  n  nO one as mentioned bill lane he could have a fight 

6 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi Dennis Hobson started of as a roof tiler worked with Ernest nick name polly that worked for bill Goddard he then worked with Harold vintners on scrap  in 62 I worked down attercliffe on roofs after a big gale wind   That’s when I first talked to him found him a very good bloke I came across most of the hard men I found Dennis the best to talk to great sense of humour  n  nO one as mentioned bill lane he could have a fight 

Dennis was great company and and a top bloke I was seeing him regularly right up until when he passed away.

I also knew Bill Lane Bill Lane and his Brother Vic.

Dennis told me the hardest Man he ever fought was Bill Lane and at the time Bill was a lot older than Dennis who was in his prime.

Bill Lane was found dead in a flat on Batemoor Road by a neighbour who is a friend of mine, he had been dead for some time.

Edited by Alextopman

Guest makapaka
On 08/11/2016 at 11:35, warday said:

RAY MORGAN, died In Boston LINCS about 4-5 yres ago. If you wont to know more about the hard men of Sheffield theirs quiet a big story on Sheffleld Forum called ( BIG HITTER'S OFF THE 50s) :thumbsup:.

Was ray morgan a plasterer when he was around?

Ray Morgan. Carried hod he also worked on bins for a short time later he worked for jimmy fothgill steel erecting I think he once ran a pub for a mate called Jack I also think in about 1960 he was on the door at the Locarno Dance hall rock and roll night 

33 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Ray Morgan. Carried hod he also worked on bins for a short time later he worked for jimmy fothgill steel erecting I think he once ran a pub for a mate called Jack I also think in about 1960 he was on the door at the Locarno Dance hall rock and roll night 

Ray ran the pub in Lincoln for Jack and his Mrs Josie, (Goldfinger) he later lived on a boat at Shortferry and then moved onto the Caravan site where also Jim Fothergill had one. I can't remember Ray Steel erecting for Jim who I worked for when Mick Fitzpatrick [Boxer's Brother] was his site manager for many years.

The last two jobs I remember Ray doing were when he had all the Brickies working for him on I think it was Chesterfield hospital or college and also the big roofing contract with Brian Wild for Courtaulds in Worksop.

Ray developed heart problems and passed away a few years ago his funeral was in Lincoln on November the 5th that year.

I apologise Slinny I've just had another memory flashback.

Ray did work for Jim Fothergill for a while and one day he was working at the bottom of a door and Jack Fothergill [Jims Brother] was hammering above it at the other side.

The hammer head came off and went over the door hitting Ray on the head.

You can imagine what happened next the Rock Ape as we called Ray went berserk trying to smash the door down to get at Jack, it took four Blokes to hold the door closed while Jack ran off. 😂😂😂😂.

We've all had a laugh about in stories over the years but it's a good job Ray didn't get hold of Jack at the time.

Edited by Alextopman

Hi Alex I once get took from mambo across road to box across road then down to nick they thought I was jack fothergill   It took 6hours to convince them I was not him I did not even know him then  met him years later in the Stafford pub up pitsmoor he was with jack askew  . I was with Henry Hopkinson . 

2 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi Alex I once get took from mambo across road to box across road then down to nick they thought I was jack fothergill   It took 6hours to convince them I was not him I did not even know him then  met him years later in the Stafford pub up pitsmoor he was with jack askew  . I was with Henry Hopkinson . 

Jack sits at the Cafe in the new market on the Moor every morning.

If it's the same Henry Hopkinson he was living in Benalmadena  when I was there about 30 years ago, he used to drink with Gwenn Manning who had the chippie at Woodhouse. His apartment was full of photo's of the lads from Sheffield, Dennis Hobson was in prime position.