Local knuckle heads

im 99percent that jesse went to stab his next door neighbour and the bloke grabbed the nife and turned it round on jesse.john is also dead now,there were 2 sisters also,jean and mandy.i think it was 82-83.

We were working for Hassles (Hassalls) castles at Fox Hill in 1966 .

Ray Morgan was tileing the roofs on the same job and he pinched our big ladder leaving us stuck on the Topping out.

Tony Hughes who was my bricklaying partner shouted down to Ken Carr our hod carrier (late landlord of the tramway pub). To go and get our flipping ladder back.

Ken reluctantly set of up the site and was gone for ten minutes, he came back and shouted up to us that Mr Morgan says that if we need to get down then we had better jump.

Ken then added that if Mr Morgan wanted our ladder then s he was concerned Mr Morgan could jolly well have it.:hihi:

:hihi: Ken Carr Ron Croft Jack Dean Len Thompson / Marley Tilers / Mick Senior and his mate Bob bricklayers / Alan Smith and Ron joiners :hihi::hihi: Harry Maynard

:hihi: Ken Carr Ron Croft Jack Dean Len Thompson / Marley Tilers / Mick Senior and his mate Bob bricklayers / Alan Smith and Ron joiners :hihi::hihi: Harry Maynard

Some memories there.;)

I love reading some of the escapades of years gone by! Just sorry my late husband isn't around, he would have known most of the lads mentioned here, and, I am certain, would have been able to add some funny tales!

I love reading some of the escapades of years gone by! Just sorry my late husband isn't around, he would have known most of the lads mentioned here, and, I am certain, would have been able to add some funny tales!

Perhaps if you said what they called him and if he was in the building trade we might remember him:hihi:

Edited by spider1

im 99percent that jesse went to stab his next door neighbour and the bloke grabbed the nife and turned it round on jesse.john is also dead now,there were 2 sisters also,jean and mandy.i think it was 82-83.

I always though Jesse was stabbed too. Remember Jesse was a bit cheeky but didn't deserve that. John is dead too? When / how was that? Same age as me was John.

There was quite a bit of knife crime back in the '80s down the Wybourn. Could name a few involved but think best not.

Edited by blackydog

Guest makapaka

All this is way before my time but like reading about it.

What was it like back in town in those days when these blokes were about. Was there a lot of trouble?

Were they people to avoid or was it just you knew there was no messing with them but were ok otherwise?

I knew him a long time ago, he was a top bloke,

John Chidlaw Senior

He died some years ago, i went to his funeral, had been a good friend to me in the years i had known him, went through hell with the death of his wife, and never got over it, yeh he had a chequered past, but was always good to his family and friends, it was a sorry day when he collapsed but i knew it was coming, it was a pleasure to know him, he helped me and my son and fundamentally was a good person albeit ravaged through drink due to the loss of his wife.

I will always have fond memories of Bellhagg Manchester Road, and hope he is safe in Gods hands

---------- Post added 29-05-2018 at 13:42 ----------

RIP John

Is Bob his older brother still with us ? John must have been relatively young

Many thanks

Hi see my other post

His brother Robert died a few years before him, a fine man, Court magistrate, lovely man two daughters, John was only about 49 when he collapsed and lived for another 9-10 years

John Chidlaw Senior

He died some years ago, i went to his funeral, had been a good friend to me in the years i had known him, went through hell with the death of his wife, and never got over it, yeh he had a chequered past, but was always good to his family and friends, it was a sorry day when he collapsed but i knew it was coming, it was a pleasure to know him, he helped me and my son and fundamentally was a good person albeit ravaged through drink due to the loss of his wife.

I will always have fond memories of Bellhagg Manchester Road, and hope he is safe in Gods hands

---------- Post added 29-05-2018 at 13:42 ----------

Hi see my other post

His brother Robert died a few years before him, a fine man, Court magistrate, lovely man two daughters, John was only about 49 when he collapsed and lived for another 9-10 years

u

Hi Mandy

I knew both brothers, John socially, Bob through work. I last spoke to Bob about 20 years ago at the Manvers Site of the Uni of Sheffield where he was working as a Nurse Lecturer, as you say, he was a good man. I first worked with him in 1977.

How old was Bob when he died, I believe he was about 12 months younger than me ?

RIP John and Bob

Lots if memories on this thread ... How you doing Richie ?

---------- Post added 29-05-2018 at 16:10 ----------

Sorry thought it was ricgem lol

Sorry mate. Not «* Richie*»

They were the equivalent of 19th century gun slingers, most of them didn’t go out looking for trouble, however it often found them, and pride dictated that they faced up to it. They had hangers on that attempted to ‘promote’ conflicts, I wouldn’t have traded places with any of them for many reasons, however. I did find the late Dennis Hobson to be an intelligent, friendly and amusing guy, he was his own man but didn’t suffer fools gladly.

Does anyone remember Pat Morrell, scrap dealer ?