Would you like to share your bin?

If they use the big shared bins they will be full as soon as they are emptied , people will fill them with rubble and other junk to save paying for a skip. stupid idea by the council

To be fair anyone could use it as a mini-skip, I can see them being targeted by fly-tippers.

I'm assuming they will live on the street, as it's unlikely people would want to keep it in their back garden and then heave it out down a tiny gennel every couple of weeks.

Of course they will . ill thought out stupidity by the council yet again.

We live in a flat and we are allocated half a black bin per flat/household/family etc per fortnight. If they were to give us a whole black bin I would gladly put it kerbside and take it in again. There are a whole load of people to whom the sharing of bins already apply.

---------- Post added 13-03-2015 at 18:48 ----------

I also meant to add, the big shared bins aren't that much of a success. At certain times of the last few months there still has been extra rubbish at the side.

To roll this out across the city, I can't imagine many households will be able to accommodate a commercial style waste bin on their property, and if they are shared, why should they?

This means most of them will be left kerbside blocking pavements, making them a hazard to pedestrians especially the disabled.

Not to mention it will ruin the aspect of the city, imagine seeing these huge commercial bins permanently lining all our residential streets. Horrendous idea.

If the council wants to save money all they have to do is sack these idiots who sit on their backside all day and come up with these hairbrain schemes.

Mod Note

Threads merged.

If the council wants to save money all they have to do is sack these idiots who sit on their backside all day and come up with these hairbrain schemes.

That would then require a brand new council being appointed as there would be no one left.

I noticed in the survey (they emailed it earlier in the week) that they're proposing a change from 1 to 2 days for following up on mixed collections, and altering the hours when they can collect (earlier start and later finish).

As far as the blue bin, we do use that for cans and bottles, and it's usually full after a fortnight even after having crushed the cans...but our elderly neighbours regularly fills her bin with paper, so she would have a problem with this if the bin was cans only.

I think there was also something about rural properties having to leave their bins at the kerb - I assumed we all had to do that anyway. Also the part about being able to leave bags with the bins after Christmas, didn't even realise we already had that as they never take any extra bags not in the bins up here.

As for the 'about you' section, I just left it blank...

SFL001 your binman friend must be on a different route to my binman relative. They finish for the day at approx 11.30am- 12.30pm most days. Instead of starting collections at 6am when some people have young children in bed. Why don't they do a full days work like most working people.

In the light of the recent high profile terrible road accidents involving large wagons and fatalities, I think it would only be common sense for bin crews to work when the roads and pavements are less congested.

To block roads with their lorries at times when people are trying to get to work, schools, etc is crazy. Look to the continent, all their collections seem to be at night, when they are less a hazard to other road users and pedestrians, and presuming they should all be wearing hi viz gear, less hazard for the workers too.

The majority of people are not at work, also, so there is left chance of people not being able to bring their bins in for hours as they are at work.

SFL001 your binman friend must be on a different route to my binman relative. They finish for the day at approx 11.30am- 12.30pm most days. Instead of starting collections at 6am when some people have young children in bed. Why don't they do a full days work like most working people.

The job is task and finish to encourage productivity, probably not their fault they run round to get the job done as quickly as possible to benefit from an early finish, wouldn't you?

If they did the job at normal pace, they would do a full days work.

There will indefinitely be people who suffer from this as not everybody will pull their weight