Would you like to share your bin?

Guest sibon

The Star are reporting that a shared bin scheme might be set up in Sheffield. Link here.

Would you be happy to share a bin with your neighbours?

I've seen schemes like this on the continent, in rural areas. They seem to work pretty well. I'm not so sure that they are so very well suited to urban areas.

it wouldnt bother me tbh, unless we had to drive to the bins!

I lived in a house converted into 4 flats which had a shared bin. As i left for work first i would put the bin out every week. On the odd occasion i was in a rush and forgot or i was away the bin would not be taken out by the other residents. I assume they must have thought the bin fairy did it.

I see it (in urban areas) as being fraught with problems. Especially if it's still a fortnightly collection. Can you imagine trying to fit your rubbish in a bin that's already been stacked out with your neighbours rubbish? It could lead to all sorts of disagreements.

I live in a small block of apartments and we share three recycling bins between us. And if we have a "bad" fortnight and our regular bin is full, we're welcome to use anyone else's

Indeed, one resident could choose to use it as a mini-skip. Before you know it, the bin is filled with rubble, plasterboard and asbestos.

Indeed, one resident could choose to use it as a mini-skip. Before you know it, the bin is filled with rubble, plasterboard and asbestos.

To be fair anyone could use it as a mini-skip, I can see them being targeted by fly-tippers.

I'm assuming they will live on the street, as it's unlikely people would want to keep it in their back garden and then heave it out down a tiny gennel every couple of weeks.

I live in a small block of apartments and we share three recycling bins between us. And if we have a "bad" fortnight and our regular bin is full, we're welcome to use anyone else's

My neighbours kinda share their bins, and I've been told by them, if ever I have too much for my own bin, to feel free to use theirs....That works fine, and up to now, I've never had the need to take them up on the offer. But that's because they're mostly older folk with no kids at home. So they never get to actually fill their bins.

But some neighbours don't get on at all....(just see some of the threads on here about 'problem' neighbours)...That's when the sparks would fly.

Edited by PeteMorris

There are some area of Sheffield that just don't bother with bins at all, looking at the state of the pavements.

I don't mind as my bin and my neighbours are often half empty there's a girl across the road with a 3 year old child who's bin is often over flowing told her if she wants she can put rubbish in ours if she wants and she does now s

hmm I can see there being problems with some neighbours overfilling them and leaving no room for anybody else.

also they look a bit on the large side where would they be put since a lot of streets have narrow pavements or the pavements are partially blocked by cars.