Nobody wants to view my house ! :-(

Worth is what someone will pay for it, so if it did sell for the asking price, then it wasn't overpriced.

True but if they need a mortgage then the valuer needs to agree it's worth that much too. Only time will tell on that one.

Good point, if the valuation is lower then the mortgage application will be declined.

If the newbuilds have rooms that are 7 * 8 then it's 44% larger. That's "a lot" IMO..

But 44% of a poky little hole is still pretty poky. Believe me, if a house has bedrooms which are 7' x 8', it is going to be claustrophobically small for anyone over the age of about 11...and 9' x 9' doesn't feel much bigger. It is still smaller than the average single study bedroom in a University Hall of Residence.

You can't be intending to argue that a near 50% increase in size is NOT a room that is "a lot" larger?

Whether both rooms are still uncomfortably small isn't really the point...

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 07:23 ----------

I went back to the first post with the comparable 4-bed, the smallest bedroom is 8'4" by 6'3"... That's a very tiny room.

The other rooms are all comparable though, so the claim that they were bigger in the 3 bed doesn't seem to be true.

---------- Post added 22-04-2015 at 07:25 ----------

The 4 bed does have a tiny rear garden though, the 3 bed has a small, but larger garden.

Gardens don't really factor in house prices as much as they used to tho, you'll get some people actively seeking out smaller gardens due to the minimal upkeep required.

I prefer them as large as possible, but others think quite the opposite.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Personally I prefer a larger plot for the money, if you don't like grass you can always have a conservatory built!

You can't be intending to argue that a near 50% increase in size is NOT a room that is "a lot" larger?

Whether both rooms are still uncomfortably small isn't really the point...

I disagree. It is the point. It's probably one of the reasons people are being put off the house.

Most people want a guest room which can accommodate a double bed, these days.

Edited by aliceBB

How MUCH larger must something be before you'll allow a description of "a lot larger" then?

Personally 50% larger is enough for me. What size guest room people want isn't the point, semantically 50% larger is "a lot larger".

How MUCH larger must something be before you'll allow a description of "a lot larger" then?

Personally 50% larger is enough for me. What size guest room people want isn't the point, semantically 50% larger is "a lot larger".

Oh, for crying out loud. Regardless of whether the area of a small room is mathematically 40% larger than the area of an even small room, what matters is people's perception of how useful that room is to them.

As I said, 50% larger than 'very small' is still 'pretty' small. Now I suggest you go and look up the difference between semantic and pragmatic meaning and think about why the latter is more useful in this context.

I'm getting rather bored of your obsessively literal approach, so I think on that note, we must agree to differ.

OP, good luck with selling your house.

We are selling our lovely home.

It has been on the market for 5 weeks and we have had no viewings at all !

We arranged an open viewing last Saturday..................not a sausage !

I am chasing up the estate agent every other day ...........still nothing !

We have now reduced the price from 210K to 199,500K, theory is that it will be picked up in the search criteria up to 200K..............still nothing !

It is a lovely, modern, spacious family home in a good location.

Private corner plot on a quiet cul-de-sac - couldn't wish for better neighbours.

The feedback we are getting is that it is due to the S5 postcode ?

I am now loosing the will to live - comments and advice please!!!

5 weeks and you are losing the will to live? Man! Are you stuck in a 1980's time warp or something? Back then houses would sell in a few days, but this is a buyers market nowadays. Have you not heard that there's a recession on and the economy, including the housing market, is depressed?

My brother just sold his property after 3 years on the market. Admittedly, it was a bit of an unusual property in terms of the remote location, but realistically, you are going to have to wait months in the current market.

If you are competing with new builds in the same area it's even harder as they tend to offer all kinds of incentives.

And if you are asking considerably more than similar properties then you are putting yourself at a disadvantage from the off - unless you have some special redeeming features that make it more desirable than the nearby similar properties to most buyers - and that doesn't mean a coy carp pond or something trivial like that.

I put my house on the market 18 months ago to see what interest there might be. I was half thinking about taking the equity and buying some land and building exactly what I wanted from scratch. It was on the market just over a year. I had two viewings in that time. This is a 5 bed house in a "posh" area of Sheffield.

I wouldn't worry too much about your postcode mate. I'd make sure it looks presentable and is competitively priced. Also I'd be into the estate agents ribs for regular feedback - how many brochures have they given out this week? How many leads from those? How many have the followed up? What feedback did they give to you from any viewings you have had?

Do you know you can also search online for what price other properties actually sold for in your area? This might give you some insight.

Most of all, I'd be patient if I were you. The economy is picking up slightly but it is going to be a long time before the housing market is buoyant again.

Who's your likely buyer btw? Elderly retired couple, young couple with family? first time buyer? Depending on this you might decide to market it with a different emphasis.

(and no, I'm not an estate agent - just someone who has been through this many, many times. More than most folk I would imagine - having moved all around the UK and Europe with my job).

Oh, for crying out loud. Regardless of whether the area of a small room is mathematically 40% larger than the area of an even small room, what matters is people's perception of how useful that room is to them.

As I said, 50% larger than 'very small' is still 'pretty' small. Now I suggest you go and look up the difference between semantic and pragmatic meaning and think about why the latter is more useful in this context.

I'm getting rather bored of your obsessively literal approach, so I think on that note, we must agree to differ.

OP, good luck with selling your house.

Well, no, you didn't say that. You said "It's not a lot larger", when you appear to have meant, "it's still pretty small".

There's nothing obsessively literal about thinking 50% bigger is "a lot larger". You were trying to change what the phrase means to be something else.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 07:31 ----------

DerbyTup - there is no recession.