Queens Head Pub Attercliffe Road

I don't ever remember this pub been open it stands on a corner three stores high on Attercliffe Road was called Queens Head had a newsagents next door. Did you go in , when did it close any idea why it just been left to rot?

I used to go in nearly every night after work.A big irish man called Jerry Dougan was the landlord.A very likable chap but I would not have liked to cross him,a ex copper I think.Did hear he has passed away a couple of years ago back home in Ireland.Always a good pint and great sandwiches.I am talking around the late sixties early seventies when I used to go in.I worked dead opposite the pub at Frankern motors (Sheffield Auto Hire) on the corner of Baker St/Attercliffe Rd.Great days great memories.

You are correct about the newsagent next door,I would get my paper there in the morning.Next door to that was a carpet shop that also was early a supermarket.This building was built on the old Theatre site called the Palace where all the leading artist of the music halls performed .When I say leading artist I mean the really big national names.They all appeared there.Hope this is of uses to you.

Edited by petcharlie
additional infomation

I used to go in nearly every night after work.A big irish man called Jerry Dougan was the landlord.A very likable chap but I would not have liked to cross him,a ex copper I think.Did hear he has passed away a couple of years ago back home in Ireland.Always a good pint and great sandwiches.I am talking around the late sixties early seventies when I used to go in.I worked dead opposite the pub at Frankern motors (Sheffield Auto Hire) on the corner of Baker St/Attercliffe Rd.Great days great memories.

You are correct about the newsagent next door,I would get my paper there in the morning.Next door to that was a carpet shop that also was early a supermarket.This building was built on the old Theatre site called the Palace where all the leading artist of the music halls performed .When I say leading artist I mean the really big national names.They all appeared there.Hope this is of uses to you.

-----------------------

Use to drink wi mates down cliff in Queens at w/ends in late 70s cruffy place but

the beer were good, great nights up/down cliff boozing. :hihi::hihi:

Used to use this pub in the 80s when Jeff (Bubbles) and Yvonne kept it. Had many a Saturday night lock-in and the occasional Saturday afternoon card game (which could get a bit heavy).

It got passed by when the butcher bloke did up the King's Head, Station, Horse & Jockey and I think the Britannia about fifteen years ago. It looks like it's ready to fall down any minute.

Used to use this pub in the 80s when Jeff (Bubbles) and Yvonne kept it. Had many a Saturday night lock-in and the occasional Saturday afternoon card game (which could get a bit heavy).

It got passed by when the butcher bloke did up the King's Head, Station, Horse & Jockey and I think the Britannia about fifteen years ago. It looks like it's ready to fall down any minute.

Jim, I don't think that was the Queens, correct me if im wrong, but I thought it closed down in the 60s when Jerry Duggan retired, I understand some Asian bloke bought it but couldn't get planning permission to do whatever he wanted.

It was a good pub, Tetleys I think?

Cross dressers paradise down the Cliff at that time:hihi:

...I thought it closed down in the 60s when Jerry Duggan retired...?

The Queen's Head is listed in the 1974 Kelly's Directory at 660 Attercliffe Road, with "A.T. Ellen, newsagent" next door as the OP wrote, then a Fine Fare supermarket (remember?!) Dated photos on picturesheffield.com suggest that it was still open in 1989 but had closed by 1993. The building is certainly in a sorry state now to judge from the Google Earth photo..:|

Edited by hillsbro

Not only the Queens been left to dereliction also the Travellers Inn further down Attercliffe Road . Faras ( Cutlers pub ) on Worksop Road has been sold and the steel boards removed from the windows, Britannia is been turned into flats, Station Hotel now reopened, across the road the Kings is now a Indian clothes shop , Buzz Stop Party Bar ( Sportsmen) is boarded up , Horse and Jockey is still closed but is for let , Bulldog now a massage parlour Attercliffe pubs have really thinned out now the Crooked Hat no idea if it is trading?

The Queen's Head is listed in the 1974 Kelly's Directory at 660 Attercliffe Road, with "A.T. Ellen, newsagent" next door as the OP wrote, then a Fine Fare supermarket (remember?!) Dated photos on picturesheffield.com suggest that it was still open in 1989 but had closed by 1993. The building is certainly in a sorry state now to judge from the Google Earth photo..:|

That pub had some very dodgy stage shows in the early eighties .

So I have been told :hihi:

If your willing to ignore the neglect the building is imposing, some of the boarding fell off a while back the inside is stripped out. If the owner has lost interest in it then it should be placed for sale but given how long the building been unmaintained it will need a fair bit of work doing to it. Just one of many dotted around Sheffield.

Not only the Queens been left to dereliction also the Travellers Inn further down Attercliffe Road . Faras ( Cutlers pub ) on Worksop Road has been sold and the steel boards removed from the windows, Britannia is been turned into flats, Station Hotel now reopened, across the road the Kings is now a Indian clothes shop , Buzz Stop Party Bar ( Sportsmen) is boarded up , Horse and Jockey is still closed but is for let , Bulldog now a massage parlour Attercliffe pubs have really thinned out now the Crooked Hat no idea if it is trading?

Station hotel, horse and jockey, and the cocked hat are owned by people I know.

The station has been let and my mate who owns it will keep it as a pub, the horse and jockey was going to be a food restaurant but the council will not give permission for it to open after 1am and the cocked hat may become a mini supermarket due to the new school being built from what I heard.

That pub had some very dodgy stage shows in the early eighties .

So I have been told :hihi:

Lol, I thought that was the Woodbourne. :)

---------- Post added 12-03-2015 at 00:02 ----------

Jim, I don't think that was the Queens, correct me if im wrong, but I thought it closed down in the 60s when Jerry Duggan retired, I understand some Asian bloke bought it but couldn't get planning permission to do whatever he wanted.

It was a good pub, Tetleys I think?

Definitely open in the 80s. I couldn't remember which brewery it belonged to, I thought it might have been Tennants (Whitbread by the 80s) but the photos on Picture Sheffield show it as Wards.

Edited by Jim Hardie