Clarkson suspended by the BBC

You really are over-egging the pudding...his father was a salesman and his mother was a teacher... like thousands of other people I imagine..

This is from Wiki.

Clarkson was born in Doncaster to travelling salesman Edward Grenville Clarkson and teacher Shirley Gabrielle Ward. His parents, who ran a business selling tea cosies, put their son's name down in advance for private school with no idea how they were going to pay the fees, until at the last moment, when he was 13, they made two Paddington Bear stuffed toys for each of their children. These proved so popular that they started selling them through the business with sufficient success to be able to pay the fees for Clarkson to attend Hill House School, Doncaster and later Repton School. By his own account, he was expelled from Repton School for "drinking, smoking and generally making a nuisance of himself."

Edited by Berberis

This is from Wiki.

Clarkson was born in Doncaster to travelling salesman Edward Grenville Clarkson and teacher Shirley Gabrielle Ward. His parents, who ran a business selling tea cosies, put their son's name down in advance for private school with no idea how they were going to pay the fees, until at the last moment, when he was 13, they made two Paddington Bear stuffed toys for each of their children. These proved so popular that they started selling them through the business with sufficient success to be able to pay the fees for Clarkson to attend Hill House School, Doncaster and later Repton School. By his own account, he was expelled from Repton School for "drinking, smoking and generally making a nuisance of himself."

Well that's it - definitely silver spoon - born to the idle rich. A teacher is paid a fortune with little effort and very very generous holidays. Travelling salesman - driving around reaping in cash with very little effort or determination. :roll:

If he was expelled from repton, then his "life advantage" was hardly capitalised on. He has made a success of his life through his own hard work, intelligence and effort

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 10:43 ----------

Very funny photo - who hasn't got a dodgy photo from their yoof?

Very simple, you posted ' poor lad from Donny ' I replied that I assumed that you were attempting to be humorous with that comment.

However, I have heard the comment about him being a Donny lad on a few occasions in the newspapers, the inference being ' hasn't he done well, getting to Chipping Norton from a hellhole like that.'

So, just in case someone wasn't aware I posted that in fact he came from a reasonably wealthy background - in comparison to the majority of us - and received the benefit of a private education.

As such he qualifies in my view for the 'silver spoon' description. I also made it clear that I had no problem with that, just pointing it out.

For some reason that I'm not clear about truman and Purdy decided to make it their mission in life to prove that in fact our Jeremy came from a bog standard working class family and had clawed his way to riches by dint of the sweat of his own brow.

I accept he has worked for it and good luck to him, he's a talented writer.

But he had a 'leg up' a start in life not available to most. The two obsessives won't have it, Burghwallis was a dungheap and everyone lived in large detached houses around that neck of the devastated woods.

I enjoy a bit of a row and so here we are.

Hope that has cleared it up for you. :)

How much was the mortgage on this house?

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 10:47 ----------

Well that's it - definitely silver spoon - born to the idle rich. A teacher is paid a fortune with little effort and very very generous holidays. Travelling salesman - driving around reaping in cash with very little effort or determination. :roll:

If he was expelled from repton, then his "life advantage" was hardly capitalised on. He has made a success of his life through his own hard work, intelligence and effort

The fees at Hill House School are currently £4500. To put that in context it is half the cost that folk pay to go to university.

How much was the mortgage on this house?

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 10:47 ----------

The fees at Hill House School are currently £4500. To put that in context it is half the cost that folk pay to go to university.

You tell me how much the mortgage was, I neither know nor care.

We are not talking about his parents, you don't seem to be able to get that simple point into your head.

Jeremy Clarkson had a far more comfortable and better off upbringing than anyone that I knew in my own youth.

Now, answer this question, do any of the definitions in this link apply to young Jeremy?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&ved=0CDsQFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.english-for-students.com%2FBorn.html&ei=j9QFVb3_HZHUav7HgbAG&usg=AFQjCNFu3JWRuhoqpN-FsK78JPUMFCLrSw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.d2s

In comparison with most other people of his generation he was better off, and was therefore able to enjoy benefits not available to most other children of his age.

To keep on rabbiting on trying to prove that he came from a bog standard semi deprived background as you are doing makes you look daft.

Clarkson, through no effort on his own part was provided with opportunities by his parents which have continued to benefit him in later life.

As I keep saying, there is nothing wrong in that, I have several family members who were/are privately educated.

Good for them, and none of them try to dismiss the part that their parents played in their good fortune.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fnews%2Fdatablog%2F2014%2Faug%2F28%2Felitism-in-britain-breakdown-by-profession&ei=U7QKVcKBDbj7sASWr4DADw&usg=AFQjCNHmmZqFclKpOq4BZN38f2mV53FPPA&bvm=bv.88528373,d.cWc

You tell me how much the mortgage was, I neither know nor care.

We are not talking about his parents, you don't seem to be able to get that simple point into your head.

Jeremy Clarkson had a far more comfortable and better off upbringing than anyone that I knew in my own youth.

Now, answer this question, do any of the definitions in this link apply to young Jeremy?

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=15&ved=0CDsQFjAEOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.english-for-students.com%2FBorn.html&ei=j9QFVb3_HZHUav7HgbAG&usg=AFQjCNFu3JWRuhoqpN-FsK78JPUMFCLrSw&bvm=bv.88198703,d.d2s

In comparison with most other people of his generation he was better off, and was therefore able to enjoy benefits not available to most other children of his age.

To keep on rabbiting on trying to prove that he came from a bog standard semi deprived background as you are doing makes you look daft.

Clarkson, through no effort on his own part was provided with opportunities by his parents which have continued to benefit him in later life.

As I keep saying, there is nothing wrong in that, I have several family members who were/are privately educated.

Good for them, and none of them try to dismiss the part that their parents played in their good fortune.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fnews%2Fdatablog%2F2014%2Faug%2F28%2Felitism-in-britain-breakdown-by-profession&ei=U7QKVcKBDbj7sASWr4DADw&usg=AFQjCNHmmZqFclKpOq4BZN38f2mV53FPPA&bvm=bv.88528373,d.cWc

I'm just allowing you to keep making a fool of yourself. You do it really well by the way.

By the way if you want to talk about his comfortable upbringing isn't that rather talking about his parents. You need to make up your mind.

I can't see he got any benefits many others didn't. His parents were a salesman and a teacher & his education cost less than the 60,000 students who are currently at university in Sheffield.

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 12:27 ----------

I wouldnt be surprised if they settle for Richard Hammond to replace Clarkson as Hammond is also popular and liked by many....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11482025/James-May-and-Richard-Hammond-refuse-to-film-Top-Gear-without-Jeremy-Clarkson.html

James May and Richard Hammond refuse to film Top Gear without Jeremy Clarkson

The two co-hosts rejected an offer to present the last three shows without the suspended star

Edited by purdy

I'm just allowing you to keep making a fool of yourself. You do it really well by the way.

By the way if you want to talk about his comfortable upbringing isn't that rather talking about his parents. You need to make up your mind.

I can't see he got any benefits many others didn't. His parents were a salesman and a teacher & his education cost less than the 60,000 students who are currently at university in Sheffield.

You are brilliant entertainment, you really are.

For instance, if you wish to talk about someone being a fool it's always a good idea to make sure that the sentence immediately following that remark makes grammatical sense. :)

Otherwise you tend to look a little foolish yourself.

Answer the question this time, instead of your normal deflection.

Did Clarkson receive opportunities provided for him by his parents which were not available to 90% of children in his age group?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Well at last the truth about the steak incident.

From the waiter himself.

Answer the question this time, instead of your normal deflection.

Did Clarkson receive opportunities provided for him by his parents which were not available to 90% of children in his age group?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

No...........

Well at last the truth about the steak incident.

From the waiter himself.

That was very clever! :hihi:

Oisin should be given the chance to give Clarkson a punch in the face and then they should shake hands.

I have no interest in TG but I'm hoping they get him back on it as soon as possible.

My fear is that if he doesn't go back and be kept busy with it the git is going to start appearing all over the place on programs that I normally enjoy but won't want to watch with him involved. :(

There really are some people with empty lives on this forum.