Electric underfloor heating in bathrooms

When I refurbish our bathroom I am considering having electric underfloor heating. I have brochures from different manufacturers giving the purchase cost, running costs and warm up times etc., but I would like to have opinions from anyone who has already got it fitted. I have found out that when the heating is in the "off" period, the system still consumes some power, this is in order to speed up the warm up time when it is in the "on" period. This alters the manufacturers stated running costs as far as I can see, as they only give figures for the actual "on" time.

Any comment or suggestion from anyone who has it fitted would be welcome, particularly regarding the true running costs.

When I refurbish our bathroom I am considering having electric underfloor heating. I have brochures from different manufacturers giving the purchase cost, running costs and warm up times etc., but I would like to have opinions from anyone who has already got it fitted. I have found out that when the heating is in the "off" period, the system still consumes some power, this is in order to speed up the warm up time when it is in the "on" period. This alters the manufacturers stated running costs as far as I can see, as they only give figures for the actual "on" time.

Any comment or suggestion from anyone who has it fitted would be welcome, particularly regarding the true running costs.

We have the HeatMat system in our smallish bathroom (2.5m sq) under waterproof laminate. The system works well in combination with the towel rail as we only have it set to come on in the morning & it wouldn't heat the room on it's own as the room isn't insulated enough. It's a really nice addition to the bathroom and glad we had it installed and didn't cost too much at the time as the mat is relatively small.

We tend to have it set to come on 1.5 hours before we get up so in the morning the floor is nice and warm (it never really gets hot but that's more to do with us having it under laminate as it doesn't absorb the heat like a wooden or tiled floor but it does make the bath mats nice and warm), to heat the room you would need to have it on for much longer than this I think.

You'll need to make sure you match the kit you buy to your floor type as there are different systems for wooden or tiled floors. I'm not to sure on running costs as we don't have a smart meter installed.

My husband and I have established such a system. works very well. so little bit energy is consumed even when off

love under floor heating would have it every time ta jeff

I installed it in our last bathroom, it's great, ours used no electric in the off state, but would calculate how long it would take to reach target temp and pre-heat to get to the temp you want at the time you want (usually 20 mins before target time).

Just installed it last week under vinyl tiles in the kitchen. Bought 5sq m at £180 from Ambient electrical. Easy to fit and its made a massive difference to an open cold kitchen. Never had it before but would definitely recommend it.

Just installed it last week under vinyl tiles in the kitchen. Bought 5sq m at £180 from Ambient electrical. Easy to fit and its made a massive difference to an open cold kitchen. Never had it before but would definitely recommend it.

IIRC it was Ambient I bought mine from too, very good company, I went with a Honeywell stat, 7 yrs on it broke so I spoke to Honeywell who replaced it FOC, very good customer service from both companies.