Bomb pitsmoor ww2

Marcus St, Fitzalan St or Rock St

all Pitsmoor glennpickard.

Hi glenpickard,

Are you aware of the other website sheffieldhistory.co.uk which has a section devoted to 'Sheffield During the War' ? Plenty to read there!

Yes Kidley, all three were in Pitsmoor but only Rock Street left. Perhaps it was their proximity to the old L.N.E.R. railway at Bridgehouses was why they were hit?

On 14/08/2015 at 22:28, gallagher said:

I lived at 43 Normanton Street which was a mid terraced house. after the 12th of December 1940 ,it was an end terrace house.

I, along with my mother and father had to be dug out the next morning.

We lived the next few years with my grandparents in Grimsethorpe Road.

My father went back to the ruined house later in the morning and had to chase the looters away.

My grandparents lived at number 3. I can’t seem to find any photos of the houses can you ?

My grandparents lived in one of the lodges at Burngreave Cemetery. During the blitz my grandfather was either out on the property putting out flares dropped by the bombers or sheltering with his family in the cellar under the chapel. While sheltering in the cellar a bomb landed in a nearby flowerbed then wormed underground before exploding. This explosion sent a number of cobblestones high into the air which came down on the roof of my grandparents house doing considerable damage. My nan said everything got covered in soot. I think a couple of other bombs landed on the cemetery property without too much damage.

My Aunt & Uncle got married June 1939. They both worked  and had saved up to furnish a little house at Pitsmoor. 

After the air-raid, they arrived back at what was their house, to find it totally obliterated!!

They weren't allowed back to sift through the wreckage for anything , till the area had been declared safe.

I lived  at 88 Weston st across from the Grubbs and the Woodwards, I knew Nicholas Taylor, Brian  Barnes whose family owned the shop on Powell st,  Kevin Hetford the Kilcommons a d lots of other reprobate, I went to St Stephen's in the 1958 

On 12/09/2015 at 23:19, kidley said:

I lived on shirecliffe lane at the boarding house behind pitsmoor post office had a dreadfull year at firshill juniors  as they were a lot smarter than me then burngreave high then hinde house comp till 1968

I recently inherited a pile of books about old Sheffield including a couple about the blitz. One contained a copy of the original map issued to German aircrew. Primary and secondary targets were outlined in red or purple and included steel works, railway junctions, hospitals and breweries among other things. Listed at the side of the map were the names of factories in English and what they produced in German. I think the intent was both strategic and terror bombing but accuracy was low on the strategic side. Note, the German airforce did not possess heavy bombers only medium ones. This was because it was developed as a tactical force to directly support ground forces, it was pretty good at this having practiced it during the Spanish civil war.