Bomb pitsmoor ww2

Don't know how reliable some of these maps were, for instance looking at the 'bombed' sites, the Brincliffe/ Ecclesall/ Nether Edge area seems to have a large concentration of hits compared to the east end industries that would be the main targets. With all due respect to the people that lived there, what was there to bomb, only posh houses? My family lived in Pitsmoor/Ellesmere at the time and I understand it got pretty intense and frightening. To believe the maps, it looked like Wincobank, Blackburn and the top end of Grimesthorpe where there was heavy industry, were hardly troubled, but that wasn't the case.

Does anybody know if any other areas have any detailed bombsites which are similarly documented like this one?Was told when I was younger of my grandparents house on Abbeydale Road near to the Abbeydale cinema being bombed.

My mum's friend was killed during the bltz. My Grandad was a fire watcher in Pitsmoor and was on duty that night with the girls dad on Ellesmere Rd when they heard the bomb hit and went to look and it turned out to be his house I think it was on Bresingham Rd that had been destroyed. I was born in the 50s there still quite a few bomb sites still around were we used to play in the 60s.

Hi

One of the main problems for all bombing raids from either party was some thing called "creep". The first bombs were the aiming point for those after who, as they approached the "flames" and entered the flax, were naturally eager to drop and get away. Consequently they dropped a second or so early which then continued to happen with a result that the bombs crept back from the original target.

An analogy would be on the Motorway where Car 1 brakes gently for whatever cause and a couple of miles back car number whatever is stuck in a queue when there is no apparent reason.

Can any other ancients still alive remember where Fox Street shelter was? I was at 151, and seven years old on that night. But looking back, I remember about three big thumps close bye, but a hell of a lot of fires, incendiary bombs I guess.

I believe the person pointing out WW2 bombing inaccuracy is not far wrong when he speaks of 1 in 5 drops coming within 5 miles of the target, and many bombs going into open country. I know two Lancaster pilots who told how difficult it was due weather, Luftwaffe night fighters, mechanicals, black outs etc.

The Germans were inaccurate for the same reasons, and anyone bombing in those days had to be visual to have some accuracy (ie RAF over the Tirpitz, Shell Bldg. in Amsterdam, USAF at Sweinfurt & Regensberg) etc.

My estimate is that the Luftwaffe were after the steel industry in Brightside, Attercliffe and Wincobank, (what would be the point of bombing the Moor and Pinstone St ?), and that Pitsmoor/C & A etc were incidental casualties

Dresden was bombed 3 times with reasonable weather over the target and poor Luftwaffe opposition, and with resulting high loss of life. After the first raid the fire ravaged buildings acted as beacons for the incoming bombers.

Anybody remember where Fox St shelter was?

On Fox Street ?

Sorry - I couldn't resist it !:)

Thank you -wow that's a lot of bombs my research may take a little longer. If anyone ha any personal or family stories please share,you could give me a clue without knowing it. Thanks again

Hello hisbuff,

I was born on Marcus Street in 1943, and my father worked locally. On his birthday, 13 December, he left for work, despite pleas from my mother not to go, and as he turned into Fitzalan Street a bomb dropped during the night exploded as he was passing the Fitzalan Tavern. Bypassers told him later that he was seen running in midair at the level of the bedroom windows, and as he hit the ground, he set off running and ended up in the newsagent shop at the junction of Marcus Street and Rock Street. The bombed area was still derelict when the area was cleared as part of the slum clearance in the early 60's. Needless to say, he survived, otherwise I would be unable to share this with you.

Does anyone have any info about this area being bombed in December 1941? I know of someone who died at this time, her family was told she died in the Blitz (I thought this was 1940) but perhaps it may have been a later air raid???

Does anyone have any info about this area being bombed in December 1941? I know of someone who died at this time, her family was told she died in the Blitz (I thought this was 1940) but perhaps it may have been a later air raid???

Yes there were later air raids, although damaging and deadly but not as intense as the 'Blitz". Also years ago, there was a excellent book, that I can never locate, about air-raids on Britain, "They Only Came At Night'' The very title, to me, eerily foreboding!

Edited by stpetre
Add

Leanda46, glad to hear your Dad survived the attack ! It was n't his time.

According to most of the books I have, the Battle of Britain had an "Official" ending date of Sept 15 1940. Hitler, Goring & Co then turned their attention to Britain's cities, which became the Blitz. I believe about 45,000 people were killed as a direct result of these air attacks, which ran from October 1940 until June 1941, when those same people then turned their attention to attack Russia June 21. Most of the Blitz casualties were in London, another German mistake.

After June 1941 the Germans had the bulk of the Luftwaffe bombers tied up in attacking Russia, especially medium bombers. However they still conducted bombing flights to Britain, mostly at night, where accuracy was very difficult. These were not so much strategic, they were more of a "Nuisance" value, where Hitler especially believed he was terrorizing the civil population.

From what I can gather Sheffield had about 3 or 4 attacks by night. My mother and grandfather witnessed one (from Attercliffe), and there were casualties. I don't know where Marcus St, Fitzalan St or Rock St are in Sheffield ? Are they up by Fitzalan Square ?

I suspect you might get more detailed information from the Town hall's archives or possible the main library. If you get it could you pass on some of the detail through the Forum as I would like to see it ?

Thank you