Bomb pitsmoor ww2

My dad tells me the Co-op on Scott Road was bombed, they went down there on Sunday and a copper threw them a big cake.:)

Although not born then, I remember the new-built co-op at the Kirton Road corner of Scott Road (I think the building is still there) as other houses on Kirton Road and nearby Ellesmere and Grimesthorpe Roads were hit. And I'd love to know the 'big cake' story.

That's all he told me stpetre. sorry there's no more.

That's all he told me stpetre. sorry there's no more.

Sorry Mr. Connery (S/F originally messed up, it's supposed to be st petre the Pitsmoor street I was born on) but there has to be a good story in there.

There are reports that they went for the city centre not the steel works. Seems strange to me but there you go. As soon as the bombers at the front started to drop their bombs the ones at the back dropped theirs so the area from Norton to city centre got it

could be that the radio waves that were used for locating bombing area were bent to give wrong bombing area

More recent thinking is that Hitler ordered that bombs be dropped on residential areas to try to lower the morale of the British population as well as trying to destroy the industrial areas.

More recent thinking is that Hitler ordered that bombs be dropped on residential areas to try to lower the morale of the British population as well as trying to destroy the industrial areas.

My Bold

Much the same as the British did in Germany.

[/b]

My Bold

In retaliation - indeed. .

Edited by Daven

It has to be remembered that during WW2 bombing was highly inaccurate, especially so at night. It was discovered at the start of our bombing campaign that only one in five bombers, or 20% of our bombers, dropped their bombs within 5 miles of their targets.

Post war studies also found that in the first year of our bombing campaign, we dropped just under half our bombs onto open country.

I see you dont know your WW2 history, just for starters look dresden up.

taster for you.

In four raids between 13 and 15 February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and 527 of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices on the city.

My dad tells me the Co-op on Scott Road was bombed, they went down there on Sunday and a copper threw them a big cake.:)

The same bomber dropped bombs on Danville Street, Normanton Street and Scott Road.

I was born on the first day that German bombers came over England. 4months later we were dug out from the ruins of our house on Normanton Street.

taster for you.

In four raids between 13 and 15 February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force (RAF) and 527 of the United States Army Air Forces (USAAF) dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices on the city.

And the Sheffield Blitz happened in 1940 - I think you are getting confused mate.

[/b]

My Bold

taster for you.

And the Sheffield Blitz happened in 1940 - I think you are getting confused mate.

I dont think so.

I did hear people say [ in the fifties ] the bombers had difficulty finding the steel works, as with the houses the works was all blacked out, as much as could be.

All was blacked out but on the nights of the Sheffield blitz there was a full moon which reflected off railway lines and the rivers running into Sheffield.

Dresden, Cologne, Hamburg etc happened towards the end of the war - the Sheffield Blitz was in 1940 .

Clam down mate - this is supposed to be an informative thread - chill !

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 09:48 ----------

That is so interesting - it's so difficult to imagine how frightening it must have been to be living in Sheffield at that time.

My Mum used to tell us stories about the war and the blitz in Sheffield. She was at school when the war began and she would tell us about the air raid shelter that was in the school yard and how they had gas mask drills every week.

Edited by Daven