Bomb pitsmoor ww2

Does anybody know any details about the bomb which demolished and severely damage several more My my.s family were bombed out 3 times and pitsmoor was one of the addresees any info at all wood be very helpful.

Thank you -wow that's a lot of bombs my research may take a little longer. If anyone ha any personal or family stories please share,you could give me a clue without knowing it. Thanks again

Don't know how reliable some of these maps were, for instance looking at the 'bombed' sites, the Brincliffe/ Ecclesall/ Nether Edge area seems to have a large concentration of hits compared to the east end industries that would be the main targets. With all due respect to the people that lived there, what was there to bomb, only posh houses? My family lived in Pitsmoor/Ellesmere at the time and I understand it got pretty intense and frightening. To believe the maps, it looked like Wincobank, Blackburn and the top end of Grimesthorpe where there was heavy industry, were hardly troubled, but that wasn't the case.

There are reports that they went for the city centre not the steel works. Seems strange to me but there you go. As soon as the bombers at the front started to drop their bombs the ones at the back dropped theirs so the area from Norton to city centre got it

could be that the radio waves that were used for locating bombing area were bent to give wrong bombing area

Edited by Re-Enactor

Don't know how reliable some of these maps were, for instance looking at the 'bombed' sites, the Brincliffe/ Ecclesall/ Nether Edge area seems to have a large concentration of hits compared to the east end industries that would be the main targets. With all due respect to the people that lived there, what was there to bomb, only posh houses? My family lived in Pitsmoor/Ellesmere at the time and I understand it got pretty intense and frightening. To believe the maps, it looked like Wincobank, Blackburn and the top end of Grimesthorpe where there was heavy industry, were hardly troubled, but that wasn't the case.

It does say on the map it's incomplete,

two of the wife's relatives were killed on Ellesmere.

Edited by retep

I did hear people say [ in the fifties ] the bombers had difficulty finding the steel works, as with the houses the works was all blacked out, as much as could be.

I did hear people say [ in the fifties ] the bombers had difficulty finding the steel works, as with the houses the works was all blacked out, as much as could be.

Yes they were blacked out, but the R.A.F and Luftwaffe crews could find their big city targets by reflections on clearer nights from railway tracks (they couldn't paint all of them) rivers and canals.

Both Thursday and Sunday nights were almost daylight. It was a period of high pressure and snow fell on friday morning. I was 12 years old and spent the thursday night under the railway bridge in Heeley with my elder brother.

The only people who like war are those who have never witnessed it and the ones who profit from it.

I am now almost 79 and I still remember the Blitz. We lived at 89 Burngreave Road at the time. My Grandmother lived at 34A Spital Hill behind the Butchers shop across from the Colliseum. We were at my Grandma's in an Anderson Shelter when the bombs fell. I have pictures of us standing outside the shelter after the bombing. There were 5 or 6 bombs which fell very close. Next morning we went back to our home at 89 Burngreave Rd. There were several houses right near ours on the street behind which had received direct hits. Our house was not destroyed but there was a lot of blast damage - missing doors and windows etc.

I lived at 43 Normanton Street which was a mid terraced house. after the 12th of December 1940 ,it was an end terrace house.

I, along with my mother and father had to be dug out the next morning.

We lived the next few years with my grandparents in Grimsethorpe Road.

My father went back to the ruined house later in the morning and had to chase the looters away.

My dad tells me the Co-op on Scott Road was bombed, they went down there on Sunday and a copper threw them a big cake.:)