Development of old Dyson Refractories site at Stannington

Good idea. We need more housing and it's a good use of this site.

its a site surrounded by green belt right on the edge of the peak park and has been discussed on and off for years.

The present relaxation on planning in areas like this so that expensive executive type houses can be built in semi rural areas will be why its being presented again.

most people in the area would support small scale development....but 88 is far too many.

the impact will be as has been said above plus it will impact on the recreational areas that are well used in that area, the environment (yeah lets replace nature with housing), and the infrastructure - schools docs and other facilities. (No doubt the developer will have plans for community buildings that will happen just like they do on other sites in the city :suspect: )

I intend to go to the consultation.

thanks for letting us know

---------- Post added 09-03-2015 at 12:43 ----------

Good idea. We need more housing and it's a good use of this site.

we actually need less people, less housing and more green space.....or we will all die

I am all for the re-development of this site, but i am worried about the extra places in schools (that are already full) / doctors surgeries (difficult to get appointments as it is) and the additional traffic speeding through Stannington - traffic doesn't slow down for the schools as it is at the moment - never mind another 100 cars bombing along Stannington road!

Is it on Stopes Road (extension of Stannington Road)? Looks like a good site to me, traffic is indeed an issue though, the council really needs to come up with an alternative to the overcongested Hillsborough corner. There is scope to expand housing in the area, but that bottleneck is going to get worse and worse.

most people in the area would support small scale development....but 88 is far too many.

the impact will be as has been said above plus it will impact on the recreational areas that are well used in that area, the environment (yeah lets replace nature with housing)

Replace nature with housing?

You obviously weren't around when the Dysons factory was the main employer for folks of Stannington village.

Have you not seen the huge chimney.

It was a brick works. That means they had kilns for "burning" the bricks.

Oh yeah....it caused pollution.

Where exactly does nature come into the discussion?

I am all for the re-development of this site' date=' but i am worried about the extra places in schools (that are already full) / doctors surgeries (difficult to get appointments as it is) and the additional traffic speeding through Stannington - traffic doesn't slow down for the schools as it is at the moment - never mind another 100 cars bombing along Stannington road![/quote']

Traffic nightmere around malin bridge as it is , as for schools well whos idea was it to knock wisewood down cuz there would not be a increase for school numbers in the area ??? council at its best :hihi:

There are other routes to enter the city besides using Malin Bridge.

And who's to say every one living there would work in Sheffield?

Lots of people commute to Manchester and Leeds for work....or, well, anywhere!

Better to have housing in a beautiful spot rather than an eyesore of a derelict factory.

Better to have housing in a beautiful spot rather than an eyesore of a derelict factory.

Yes you are right there are other ways to enter the city. I mean it doesn't have to be Malin Bridge does it they could also opt to commute down towards the accident spot that is rivelin and on to the heavily congested A57 at Crosspool.

Argue it all you want the truth is that the majority of buyers will be commuting in to Sheffield and this area would need significant improvements to accommodate 88 more houses ie doctors, roads, schools, etc.

Don't remember seeing one in the post. I think it may have been lost in all the LibDem campaign leaflets that get shoved through my door day after day

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 18:56 ----------

Manchester Road. I think it needs a dual carriageway from Crosspool over the top of Stannington, Wisewood and up to Stocksbridge. Can't see anyone splashing that kind of cash

Argue it all you want the truth is that the majority of buyers will be commuting in to Sheffield and this area would need significant improvements to accommodate 88 more houses ie doctors, roads, schools, etc.

88 houses is a small development.

Consider this....

Before Dysons closed the employees used those same roads to get to work every morning and again in the evening for the return journey.

Add to that the large lorries both delivering supplies, and Dysons own lorries supplying their customers.

If the roads back then managed this traffic, what has changed?

Traffic from 88 new houses won't be anywhere near the amount of traffic back then.

Consider this....

Before Dysons closed the employees used those same roads to get to work every morning and again in the evening for the return journey.

Add to that the large lorries both delivering supplies, and Dysons own lorries supplying their customers.

Traffic from 88 new houses won't be anywhere near the amount of traffic back then.

Hit the nail right on the head there. I wonder what else troubles people about the development? The value of their own houses?

Consider this....

Have you thought about trying to get a doctors appointment , kids school places parking at local shops etc etc

88 homes with say 5 people per household is 440 extra people to small area