Warminster Road Allotments

Does anybody know how to apply for an allotment at the site on Warminster Road (top), I have looked on the council website and it doesnt appear to be a council run site.

Each allotment is privately owned by a different person. A few are vacant and overgrown with trees and bushes and are practically woodland. I rent two from two different people who don't even live in Sheffield, one of whom has never seen her allotment, which she inherited. I use one for veg, the other (a big plot) for fruit trees/bushes.

Most of the ones along the side nearest the football fields are in use. The ones along the top end, past the scout hut, are largely overgrown and as far as i know, not in use.

I'm not sure. I got mine by talking to an old bloke called Graham who has one there. He just happened to have contact details for the owners of some of the unused plots. I know some of the plots are just 'squatted' as nobody knows who owns them. Mine were covered in ash trees 30-40ft tall and massive brambles. It took me a year just chopping them down!

Could anyone PM me some details of absent owners please? How much do people typically pay rent for these? I've put my name down for a council one behind thethe care home, but it's a small site with all plots looking worked.

It's hard to say who the owners re. I own one which I use as an orchard for cider making, but I rent the one next door. It belongs to a woman who lives in Oxfordshire who inherited it from her husband. It had belonged to his father many years ago. I pay her £35 a year for its use but there's no water supply. However, I have a well on my own plot so I get water from there.

Several users have just occupied overgrown plots and used them. Those plots are owned by someone, somewhere, but unless the owner turns up and chucks them off, there's nothing to stop them. Some of the overgrown plots do have local owners however, so be unwise to occupy them.

When I say 'overgrown' I am talking forest, in some cases. My rented plot was covered in 12 year-old ash trees up to 10" in diameter! Not to mention brambles as thick as broom handles, nettles, bindweed etc.

OK, so replying to a years' old post here. Just got an address off the land registry. Very difficult to use their search facility as there's no postal address for the allotments. Now writing to two listed owners to ask about renting or buying. 

We have just found out we own one of the overgrown  allotments from my late mother who used to live opposite Graves Park. We are looking to sell as we live in Cheshire and realistically unsure how to go about this

They all should be handed to the council to be rented at a small cost to a  local resident. Then they can be monitored and kept in good condition, so this situation never happens again.

Edited by prince al

On 17/09/2018 at 13:48, Yog Sothoth said:

It's hard to say who the owners re. I own one which I use as an orchard for cider making, but I rent the one next door. It belongs to a woman who lives in Oxfordshire who inherited it from her husband. It had belonged to his father many years ago. I pay her £35 a year for its use but there's no water supply. However, I have a well on my own plot so I get water from there.

Several users have just occupied overgrown plots and used them. Those plots are owned by someone, somewhere, but unless the owner turns up and chucks them off, there's nothing to stop them. Some of the overgrown plots do have local owners however, so be unwise to occupy them.

When I say 'overgrown' I am talking forest, in some cases. My rented plot was covered in 12 year-old ash trees up to 10" in diameter! Not to mention brambles as thick as broom handles, nettles, bindweed etc.

Think I know which plot this is, being used as a 'cider orchard'. I noticed someone had strimmed it when I was up earlier today. 

One for sale again, sign up with mobile number on it.