Bygone times sheffield

My brother loaned me some books recently of Sheffield, and in particular 3 which are photo books of Hillsborough, Walkley, Owlerton. They are produced by JR Wrigley and published by Pickard publishing, riverside park Sheffield and must be available in most bookshops across the city.Anyone associated with Sheffield over the pasty 50 years or so will find them intriguing

They dont half bring back some good memories an ideal pressy for ex pats.

I,m not on commision honestly but i just thought how good they are.

I have these books, i bought them just cos mi mam and dad never had a camera when i was a kid so i have no pics at all of the area i grew up in... (Hillsborough) brings back thoughts of childhood everytime i look through them...

I bought the Owlerton book but was very disappointed with the reproduced photographs,very blurred and poor contrast which seems a shame in what otherwise is an excellent book

If anyone has the book could you tell me about a couple of photographs in the book which I think are labelled wrongly.

One is a picture of the big yard at the bottom of Broughton Road but the entrance to this road surely is on Penistone Road not Broughton Road.

The other is a picture labelled 'The rear of the houses opposite Hillsborough Park', I would say it is the rear of the houses opposite Bastok and Tanfield Roads taken over the wall from the bottom of Parkside Road.

I may be wrong.

What do other Forummers think?

Happy Days

pop t, i think your book of pictures must be faulty cos the one i have is crystal clear..the houses are the backs of the ones opposite hillsboro park.

the big house on p39 was lived in by my old mate Malcolm McKenzie(custard).

youre right the yard photo was taken from Penistone Rd.

Incidentally we lived on Winster Rd..off Parkside Rd

I bought the Owlerton book but was very disappointed with the reproduced photographs,very blurred and poor contrast which seems a shame in what otherwise is an excellent book

If anyone has the book could you tell me about a couple of photographs in the book which I think are labelled wrongly.

One is a picture of the big yard at the bottom of Broughton Road but the entrance to this road surely is on Penistone Road not Broughton Road.

The other is a picture labelled 'The rear of the houses opposite Hillsborough Park', I would say it is the rear of the houses opposite Bastok and Tanfield Roads taken over the wall from the bottom of Parkside Road.

I may be wrong.

What do other Forummers think?

Happy Days

the houses opposit Bastock/Tanfield only had yards,not individual gardens