Car drivers of Sheffield need to be aware of this guidance

The Highway code states "Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can." when driving up a single track road.

Quite right, I always do.

The Highway code states "Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can." when driving up a single track road. This includes roads where there is only space for a single vehicle such as many residential roads in Sheffield, due to parked cars on each side. The number of people I see barging their way down hills causing traffic problems further down or drivers stopping to allow drivers up hill to come down, also causing traffic chaos is way too high in Sheffield. You would have thought, for a city built on 7 hills, its residents would have learned this part of the Highway Code by heart.

If you are driving down hill and there is only space for one car, give way to road users coming up hill.

If you are driving uphill, stop being so timid and overly cautious. Many times you are unaware of the vehicles behind that get stuck.

Rant over :)

The HC also says "give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road" I.e. Potentially in conflict with the Rule you quote. Flexibility is needed.

E.g. when you are travelling uphill with parked cars on your near side what do you do?

What do you do when driving downhill with parked cars on your near side and you can comfortably get past the pinch point without inconveniencing oncoming drivers?

Although I am supportive of what you are suggesting (particularly on snow), one Rule alone of these two is not good enough.

What we need more of is good judgment, awareness, courtesy and (take it in turn) collaboration, qualities missing sometimes in drivers. But it ain't that bad if drivers are flexible in their application of the Rules.

It's a good bit of advice but there's no real reason for it. If you can't do a hill start you shouldn't be driving.

Although I am supportive of what you are suggesting (particularly on snow), one Rule alone of these two is not good enough.

What we need more of is good judgment, awareness, courtesy and (take it in turn) collaboration, qualities missing sometimes in drivers. But it ain't that bad if drivers are flexible in their application of the Rules.

Well said. You can't take the highway rules as gospel but guidance. Each situation is different. Common sense and judgment prevail in these situations.

Well said. You can't take the highway rules as gospel but guidance. Each situation is different. Common sense and judgment prevail in these situations.

Absolutely.

If you can't stop and do a hill-start, backwards or forwards, you shouldn't be driving.

If there's somewhere to pass the person who has that space on his side of the road should give way. Failing that, a driver shouldn't be forced to reverse out of a side road onto a main road, so the other driver should reverse up.

Some more guidance for car drivers of Sheffield:

1. Indicate.

2. Give way to pedestrians when turning from a major to minor road.

3. Do not park on pedestrian crossings.

It should be common coursity to give way to uphill traffic.

I totally agree but common courtesy is far less common these days sadly.

If you are going uphill and there is a parked vehicle on your side of the road you should proceed with caution if there is a vehicle approaching you coming down the hill . Said vehicle may not wish to let you through or may have nowhere to pull in to allow you through. It is sad to point out that most may not wish to let you through rather than be able to since many drivers believe their journey is more important than anyone elses.

Edited by Daven

I think the majority of drivers these days have a different highway code to the one I read when I was learning to drive. Under the section in theirs where it shows who has the right of way in certain situations there is a page with a mirror on it!

A lot of people saying that if you can't do a hill start you shouldn't be driving, and whilst true it's somewhat missing the point.

My driving instructor, and dad, taught me to give way to uphill traffic when all other things were equal.

This is nothing to do with an assumption or otherwise on other people's hill start abiliities, and just common courtesy knowing that hill starts puts more wear and tear on a vehicle and uses more fuel.

Unfortunately I see less and less people observing this courtesy.

My driving instructor and dad also taught me that if I found myself in the wrong lane, only change lanes if you can do so safefy, but if you can't tough ... common courtesy means that you don't hold traffic up because of your mistake, just go with the flow and find a way back on track later. Like the common courtesy of giving way to uphill traffic, the common courtesy of not making 30 cars miss a light change because you're in the wrong is becoming extinct.

The advice on here and the highway code are correct, however to give context, about 18 mths ago, I was on Hunter House Road, after dropping my daughter off at a the top, and was making my way down to Hunters bar. I drove round the corner and as is the norm cars parked on both sides of the road. There was a red Mazda?? I think it was right down at the bottom, so as per the highway code I pulled in as I had room at the top just round the bend and flashed him to take the right of way. He then drove up the hill I guess it must be 800 meters plus. I waited and maybe expected a courteous wave but no. As he drew level with me he shouted at the top of his voice at me from his open window T&%T ! ( I believe the dictionary definition is a 'pregnant goldfish' ) I am neither a fish of any variety and furthermore male, therefore subject to any as yet unpublished medical scientific break through, unable to become pregnant.

To this day I wonder what I did other than be a courteous road user to someone travelling up a hill past stationary cars to deserve such abuse. :suspect:

I was only grateful that my daughter was not with me or I may have been tempted to follow said ignoramus to whatever destination he was going to and 'courteously' kick his ungrateful ass !

I will continue to be a courteous driver having various driving qualifications (advanced driver, defensive driving and VIP protection) and will continue to abide by the highway code but pardon the pun its a "two way street people"

Technical point, sorry.

There is no such thing as "right of way" that is allowed in the HC (page 34).

There is only a notional priority in certain contexts that we can give away to others but never take for granted as ours.

So, for instance, a green traffic light is only "proceed with caution".

A lot of people saying that if you can't do a hill start you shouldn't be driving, and whilst true it's somewhat missing the point.

My driving instructor, and dad, taught me to give way to uphill traffic when all other things were equal.

This is nothing to do with an assumption or otherwise on other people's hill start abiliities, and just common courtesy knowing that hill starts puts more wear and tear on a vehicle and uses more fuel.

Unfortunately I see less and less people observing this courtesy.

My driving instructor and dad also taught me that if I found myself in the wrong lane, only change lanes if you can do so safefy, but if you can't tough ... common courtesy means that you don't hold traffic up because of your mistake, just go with the flow and find a way back on track later. Like the common courtesy of giving way to uphill traffic, the common courtesy of not making 30 cars miss a light change because you're in the wrong is becoming extinct.

Good post,exactly the same as i was taught.Unfortunately Sheffield seems to be going the same way as London in terms of a lack of courtesy while driving.At one time you would always expect someone to let you out of a junction,nowadays some drivers would rather block you off while they are queuing in traffic rather than let you out.

Edited by ghost rider