Meersbrook Allotments

Hi there, I'm new here, and just have a quick question or two.

Myself and my fiance decided to put our name down for an allotment at Meersbrook, but we're a tad confused. Simply put, it says that there are 32 available allotments vacant, but there's a waiting list of 9 people. How can there be a waiting list if so many are vacant?

Does this mean that we are likely to be waiting less time to be offered an allotment, or more? :help:

Any advice that can be offered about Meersbrook as a site would also be much appreciated, though I've done some research already :)

Thanks.

I can only assume that it means that there are 32 plots on the site and 9 people waiting for one. It may just be worded badly. I don't think that they will have 32 plots available at the moment. If I am right you will have a fair wait.

Yeah, like I said, I was just confused, because the ones we looked at closer to us all basically said like 0 plot vacant, and then a waiting list of so many people. I do have a reference number from when we applied, so I may call and quote that reference number and see if they can clear that up a little bit fr me.

Thanks!

We applied for an Allotment at Meersbrook last weekend. Today we got a letter through offering us plot 312!! It's a 301W plot type and I am so so soooo happy!!

Now though, I have to find out about the concessions that the council talked about .... I know I put that list somewhere .... Woohoo! We'll be down sometime on Tuesday to have a look round. Can't WAIT!!

neolithic:

Its entirely possible that the site does have 32 available allotments and yet still have a waiting list. I recently finished my search for an allotment and the site I chose had 17 available and a waiting list of 2.

Essentially I think it means that people have put themselves on the list but after being offered a plot they have declined to take it but have decided to remain on the list in case another plot becomes available or perhaps even just declined because their circumstances had changed and they wanted to wait a while.

Having just gone through the process of getting an allotment myself my advice to you is to call the allotment office and say you have received a plot offer and would like to take a look at it and any other available plots on the site. This way you will get a choice on the plot you get and you might get a plot in a location you prefer or you might be able to choose a plot with something useful (greenhouse, shed, etc) already present.

Ultimately empty plots are probably going to need a lot of work so you might as well get a plot with something useful/preferable about it.

Edited by DarkLordPaul

We have just sent a letter to ask so fingers crossed we also get one :)

We have our Allotment viewing tomorrow at Meersbrook at 5:30pm, and are just wondering whether we will need to take anything with us, like the fee, or whether the contract and the fee will be sorted out later on.

I'd hate to travel out there, only to find that we need something that we haven't taken with us. Any advice folks?

I live in Meersbrook (going on 10 years now) and would love to have a plot at the allotments.

Not in a position to have one yet as I am working all week and then away a lot at weekends and it would need a full sort out each chance I got to go but it is my aim to have an allotment when I retire to potter about in and grow fresh veg and herbs.

I envy anyone with a garden or allotment.

Edited by ozzyowl77

we have 2 allotments on meersbrook theres a lot of available allotments ! we have had ours for 2 years , it was very over grown but there is ranger will come and chop and clear some of the overgrowth ! There is a very friendly committee , Jim brown who is possibly showing you around is a lovely Guy and the allotment shop is fantastic value for money . We are all friendly on the site so feel free to ask questions.

NEOLITHIC how was the allotment? I spoke to the office the other day and they are offering me one. Not sure when my viewing is yet. So I was just wondering what state you found yours in? and as you asked before did you need to take anything for your viewing?

Meersbrook Allotments have lots of plots available, there is a very short waiting list, people are only waiting because of the administration required to free up and then offer a plot, the waiting is about 3 to 4 weeks, there is only 1 person allocated by the council to sort it all out, also if you are offered a plot but it is not quite what you want, or in a position you want ask to look at a different one, there is a lot to choose from

I was offered mine last week, went to visit it last weekend. Met Jim who helps out around there (and knows just about everything about the allotments). I was amazed by the plot that we have been offered. Not too messy, and with some greenhouses and outbuildings already on there. Obviously we fell lucky as some of the sites need much more care and attention. Just waiting for the agreement letters, welcome pack and keys. Cant wait to get started on it.