Anyone called Manterfield?

My father Ernest Morton who died in the late 1950s had a friend called Manterfield. I don't remember his first name. Are there any Manterfields out there who remembers their father or grandfather having a friend of that name? He may have lived in the Shiregreen area.

My father Ernest Morton who died in the late 1950s had a friend called Manterfield. I don't remember his first name. Are there any Manterfields out there who remembers their father or grandfather having a friend of that name? He may have lived in the Shiregreen area.

Denis Manterfield is one name I can give you though he lived in Pitsmoor in the 60s/70s not sure if he lived in Shiregreen in the 50s

The headmaster of Dobcroft Middle school in the 1980's was Mr Manterfield. He struck me as an old man, but I assume (now) he was in his late 50's. Try contacting the school, they might have more info.

Obviously, being only 10 years old, he didn't have a first name to us - just "Mr" Manterfield.

I knew a Bob Manterfield in the early 80's

I have some Manterfield relations but not sure they ever lived in the Shiregreen area. It's a pretty rare name in these parts so I hope you find who you're looking for, but have to admit I think it's a long shot! Perhaps if you gave more clues? What did your dad do for a living, for example - maybe that would narrow things down a bit?

Edited by astrols

I know of an elderly lady called I think Jean Manterfield who may live Shirecliffe or Ecclesfield area. She is in her late 80,s now & her husband died several years ago & she had a son who died before that -(think he was an alcoholic). The lady until recently frequented The Park pub on friday nights & ?The railway at Wadsley bridge , altho I havnt seen her since before xmas. Not sure what her husbands name was -it may have been Bob -trying to find out for you.

I know of an elderly lady called I think Jean Manterfield who may live Shirecliffe or Ecclesfield area. She is in her late 80,s now & her husband died several years ago & she had a son who died before that -(think he was an alcoholic). The lady until recently frequented The Park pub on friday nights & ?The railway at Wadsley bridge , altho I havnt seen her since before xmas. Not sure what her husbands name was -it may have been Bob -trying to find out for you.

That sounds very much like the afore mentioned Denis's wife. The son was Martin who was well known around Sheffield back in the day

There was a Peter Manterfield attended Hartley Brook junior school in the Late 40's He lived in the Homestead Rd area and he would been 74 ish now but I believe that died many years ago

That sounds very much like the afore mentioned Denis's wife. The son was Martin who was well known around Sheffield back in the day

My OH used to see her almost every month but she hasn't been around this year, I used to work with her daughter Michelle.

My father Ernest Morton lived on Homestead Road at Sheffield Lane Top. He was a bit of an enigma being 21 years older than my mother and having been married before. His first wife died in 1941 and they lived on Mason Lathe Road, Lower Shiregreen. He was fairly famous as a playwright who dabbled in amateur dramatics and did stage makeup for local dancing school shows. He died in 1959.

Edited by GOLDEN OLDIE

There was a Peter Manterfield attended Hartley Brook junior school in the Late 40's He lived in the Homestead Rd area and he would been 74 ish now but I believe that died many years ago

Had a look on FreeBMD and it looks like Peters' dad could have been your dads' friend. He was a George who married a Gladys Thompson in 1930. There are a few to choose from! Peter himself had 2 children who are probably still living.