Bit of a 'Viz' tip

After a trip to the Swedish shop (other flat pack providers are available) I had purchased one of the big blue bags and was left with it in a cupboard with no real use.

The council blue paper box came with a 'hat' that gradually decomposed over the first 12 months. So the contents became sodden or with the slightest of breezes, was strewn all over the place.

The Swedish bag fits exactly over the box and snuggles down over the sides. tied on with s bit of string just to be sure and bingo, your paper is secure.

I have used it all winter and still looking good, no rips or tears, so if your left wondering what to do with the big blue bag there you go !

Another reason to have a Swedish shop in Sheffield maybe the council should do a deal with them:suspect:

too much hassle undoing string, removing bag, putting a sheet of paper into the bin and tying up again. It may be easier if you have an indoor paper store and then shift a load of paper to the outside store.

I use the tall blue bin for paper and the small one, without cover for tins and plastics. Then putting single sheets or bottles is easy.

Yep, I'm a lazy git on that one

Sorry didn't make it clear the string is from the handle of the bag to the handle of the box, just to keep it attached when the box is emptied its not actually tied round the box in any way. So its no real hassle to lift the bag to put paper in , but point taken. I do keep my paper inside and then put it outside maybe 2 or 3 times a week, as and when required.

I'm not sure it's necessary to bother trying to keep the paper and card dry. I'm on my 3rd or 4th box cover. This one is so ragged it's not waterproof at all now so entirely pointless. I also sometimes put cardboard boxes out in the rain/snow etc and it always goes. Some people don't have covers for their boxes at all.

So as they are clearly dealing with a lot of wet paper and card already, is there any point us trying to keep it all dry? It all gets pulped anyway.

Viz is a great read. Get it delivered at home.

I have another Viz Top Tip:

PEOPLE OF NETHERTHORPE: Make your home more desirable when trying to sell it by marketing the area as "Lower Walkley"

I too am hideously efficient when it comes to recycling. So much so that to prevent paper becoming soggy and useless beyond recyclable parameters whilst in outside storage, I've built my own paper mill in what was once the pantry, here at 'Area 51 and a Half'.

Waste paper and Amazon cardboard boxes are firstly turned to a soggy pulp courtesy of cycle number four in the washing machine (using waste water from the sink, before I get accused of draining lakes) and a bottle of bleach.

Thereby, it's pumped as a slurry into the pantry where my nuclear powered paper-regenerator takes over in a (secretive) process that can only be described as 'magical' (to the non-scientific types).

Using this method, I can produce up to nine sheets of Domestos scented, grey, A4 blotting paper (still perfecting the process) per day!

Of course, I have no use for blotting paper whatsoever, so it ultimately ends up in the black wheelie bin along with pretty much everything else.

But ... to save the Council the bother of collecting cans, my 3-phase 12.7 gigawatt plasmatron (in the cellar) turns unwanted tin cans, or pretty much anything else that has molecules in it for that matter, into a miasmic plasma that is then expelled into the atmosphere in a less than fully lethal vapour, courtesy of a crafty venting system up the coal-hole.

The theory being that in years to come, the atoms will condense back into their constituent elements, fall back to Earth, and form new rock strata that can one day be mined for re-use by future mankind.

As you can see, I take recycling very seriously. :thumbsup:

If your blue box cover disintegrates, just contact Veolia (http://veolia.co.uk/sheffield/contact-us) and they will replace it. I did just that a few months back and it was pushed through the letterbox on the next bin collection .... credit where credit is due!

I find when the paper gets wet it's easier to stomp down (to shove more in) and it's also less likely to blow everwhere when it's all mushed together.

too much hassle undoing string, removing bag, putting a sheet of paper into the bin and tying up again. It may be easier if you have an indoor paper store and then shift a load of paper to the outside store.

I use the tall blue bin for paper and the small one, without cover for tins and plastics. Then putting single sheets or bottles is easy.

Yep, I'm a lazy git on that one

I don't think that's lazy at all. It seems to me to be the most sensible way to use the recycling equipment they've given us.

Modz, could we please have a top tips section. I think it would be very useful :cool:

If your blue box cover disintegrates, just contact Veolia (http://veolia.co.uk/sheffield/contact-us) and they will replace it. I did just that a few months back and it was pushed through the letterbox on the next bin collection .... credit where credit is due!

Your quite right when my original blue one degraded, I phoned them up they posted me a new green cover, in a matter of days (Credit where credit due) but the elastic in that one lasted about 3 months, :roll: which rendered it basically useless.

The Ikea bag has lasted through snow wind hail and sun, and is still perfect 6 months down the line ( in fact I think its lasted longer than the stuff I bought from Ikea):D

As they say:

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Edited by Bluebottle
typo

Guest busdriver1

My blue bin was "delivered" whilst I was out and had been stolen before I got home.

It was 3 weeks before I knew as they had not informed me it was coming.

Any more bright ideas?

By delivered I of course mean dumped somewhere outside the property.