Frock Horror and Chanchan- Shops from the 70s and 80s

Does anyone remember a shop called Chanchan in the 80s which became known for printed Chanchan hats? I'd love it if someone had a photo!

Did Chanchan used to sell clothes as well? It's ringing vague bells. I think I had a couple of dress by them.

If I remember correctly Frock Horror was owned by a woman called Jo. She used to print some of her own fabrics. Back then I lent a hand in the production of some of the silkscreens for the printing process.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, Chanchan did sell mainly clothes, hand printed designs, in the late 80s- early 90s. And yes, Frock Horror was open in the early 80s, and run by a Jo. Me, though now known as Josie.

I probably remember you Draggletail if you helped with the screens for printing.

Most of the clothes in Frock Horror were hand printed too. We still design and print for a living, but we do that working from home, instead of from a shop. I'm feeling nostalgic for my youth!

Thanks for your replies. Yes, Chanchan did sell mainly clothes, hand printed designs, in the late 80s- early 90s. And yes, Frock Horror was open in the early 80s, and run by a Jo. Me, though now known as Josie.

I probably remember you Draggletail if you helped with the screens for printing.

Most of the clothes in Frock Horror were hand printed too. We still design and print for a living, but we do that working from home, instead of from a shop. I'm feeling nostalgic for my youth!

Hi Josie

I used to work within the silkscreen printing collective at Sheffield Resources Assn. (AKA Commonground) on The Wicker.

You used to use our services if I remember correctly. I seem to remember spending a couple of afternoons on a process camera processing quite a lot of lith film positives (acetates) for you (or one of your colleagues) And I'm sure that we used to put the photographic stencils onto your frames for a while...

I later went on to print T-Shirts and Sweatshirts for Schools and other oranisations whilst working from home. Keeping the overheads down is what it was all about ;)

At that time I also printed for Paul Lincoln (20th Century Clothing)

I remember when the guys from Pulp used to come in and we'd make their silkscreen for them and then they'd get on and print the posters for an upcoming gig. I have a strong memory of them printing the 'In a Bell Jar' poster. If I knew then what I know now I might have asked them to leave me a couple on the drying rack. Ebay at the height of their fame and all that ;)

I'm feeling nostalgic myself now!

Edited by Draggletail