Sign in to follow this  

Reccomendation on a Welding Course.

For those of us you who are contemplating doing a restoration project or are in the midst of one I thought it worth mentioning that Sheffield College does a course on welding for one evening a week.

My other half attended it a couple of years ago and it has helped him acquire the skill needed now for welding our projects up. Just got to encourage him to get and put it into practice more now :hihi:

I did its equivalent course, about 23 years ago, and it was excellant. They used to let you take you own cars in and practice on them, but I think all health and safety standards have somewhat changed now.

I got rather excited about the prospect of becoming a professional welder, with the the associated 'glamour' as welding was suddenly very fashionable in 1983...(watching a certain film there I think you know the one I mean.)

My first project was a rust-bucket Austin Allegro, only 7 years old but totally riddled with large holes in key areas...which should ideally have been crushed and turned into baked bean cans, it was so far gone. But, with my new welding 'skills', I was determined to make it a show car. (sngiger)

Practice makes perfect.....eventually!!! But not on my earliest effort, The MOT man rejected the more or less deceased Allegro which somehow kagarooed its way to the centre and told me it had the structural integrity of a squashed cabbage....one learns through failure. Its the best way.

Does anybody know of anywhere that will hire me welding equipment?

Don't mean oxy acetalene,just a mig welder for the weekend,or would it work out cheaper to buy one?

Fancy having a go at the the spit myself.........may all end in tears though :rolleyes:

Don't mean oxy acetalene,just a mig welder for the weekend,or would it work out cheaper to buy one?

Fancy having a go at the the spit myself.........may all end in tears though :rolleyes:

Have you had a look at HSS hire, they seem to have all sorts of stuff

Also check out machine mart as they do all sorts of hobby welders.

You might want to give these guts a call:

http://www.wecs-ltd.co.uk/hire.htm

I got rather excited about the prospect of becoming a professional welder, with the the associated 'glamour' as welding was suddenly very fashionable in 1983...(watching a certain film there I think you know the one I mean.)

Lol, i know which one you mean. :hihi:

I wish it was like that in real life! :(:rolleyes: