Partial Solar eclipse due 20th March 2015

There will be a partial (though not unspectacular) eclipse of the sun, due to happen on 20th March 2015.

I'll be donning my welding goggles to witness it. Assuming it's a sunny morning, it 'will' make the sky go quite dark as the moon crosses over the path of the sun, and obscures it for a while.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/uk/sheffield

Usually find out about these the day after!

Good reminder, also mentioned on Calendar weather last night.

So how far south would one have to travel to see a TOTAL?

Usually find out about these the day after!

Good reminder, also mentioned on Calendar weather last night.

So how far south would one have to travel to see a TOTAL?

North to Svalbard

North to Svalbard

Think I'll give that one a miss :)

Someone mentioned this on a caravan forum that I use and a young lady said quite seriously "Oh what a pity we will be away that day and will just miss it". :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I've been lucky enough to see partial solar eclipses virtually every day since last autumn from the vantage point of my kitchen window, here at 'Area 51 and a half'.

Come the end of March, when the leaves pop out on the tree again, it should be even more impressive ... 'total eclipse of the Sun by the sycamore tree'!

Also (as an aside, if you fancy), it's possible to see a total eclipse of the Sun every night, sycamore or not ... this time caused by the Earth getting in the way.

A good way to spot this for you keen eyed amateur astromologists, is to look outside and see if it's gone dark (open the curtains first for maximum efficacy). :thumbsup:

I've been lucky enough to see partial solar eclipses virtually every day since last autumn from the vantage point of my kitchen window, here at 'Area 51 and a half'.

Come the end of March, when the leaves pop out on the tree again, it should be even more impressive ... 'total eclipse of the Sun by the sycamore tree'!

Also (as an aside, if you fancy), it's possible to see a total eclipse of the Sun every night, sycamore or not ... this time caused by the Earth getting in the way.

A good way to spot this for you keen eyed amateur astromologists, is to look outside and see if it's gone dark (open the curtains first for maximum efficacy). :thumbsup:

Hahaha...we can always rely on you to inject a bit of humour into a thread ;)

Hahaha...we can always rely on you to inject a bit of humour into a thread ;)

:hihi:

I've really missed Mr Alco...

... it's nice to see his safe return from his latest secret mission! ;)

Edited by Mr Bloke
Removed details of Mr Alco's latest secret mission as requested by Mr Pete!

Shush.....Don't mention anything about that!!!! :):nono:

A wearisome and, at times, perilous mission I may slowly hasten to add with alacrity. More later when my toothache subsides to allow rational thought once again, courtesy of some paramedical tablets (or a mallet). :sad:

(or both)

Sheffield Astronomical Society are hoping to set up outside the Hallam University entrance with a few solar scopes to view the eclipse.

There will be a partial (though not unspectacular) eclipse of the sun, due to happen on 20th March 2015.

I'll be donning my welding goggles to witness it. Assuming it's a sunny morning, it 'will' make the sky go quite dark as the moon crosses over the path of the sun, and obscures it for a while.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/uk/sheffield

I've read that welding goggles do not give enough protection - http://astronomynow.com/2015/03/15/how-to-see-the-solar-eclipse-safely/