Define Sheffield?

7 hills, 7 teams and 7 million pot holes :hihi:

7 teams being...

Owls, Blades, Sharks, Eagles, Steelers, Sheffield FC and Hallam FC

Edited by BED HED

My hometown.....and proud of it ?

One word is apparently too short but my word is 'insular', meaning the people not the place.

I like sheffield, have lived in it most of my life with occasional time off for good behaviour.

I always have come back and have no plans of leaving again. I know the place fairly well and have always felt comfortable here. I am acquainted with smoe nery nice people here. It has some of the best urban green space in the country.

A lot of good and talented people have come out of sheffield and I'm pleased for those that managed to get away and had the sense to not return.

It used to be one of the top 4 UK cities population wise. But population isn't everything the city centre is becoming less viable and is small in comparison to many cities with similar or even smaller populations

IMHO I blame corruption, stupidity and the incompetents that have had a hand in running the place over the last 50 years or so for its steady decline.

I would strongly recommend that young people get the best education they can.. and get out, before sheffield centre starts to look like rotherham's and the rest of the city becomes a place where people just come because it will be so cheap to live here in few years time.

in my opinion when i was in my teens around 30 years ago Sheffield was really something to be proud of we had decent Christmas lights and such is through decline we lose more and more each year, the people are not the same nor do we have any care to our neighbours any more but im sure that's not confined to the likes of sheffield it happens everywhere,

Sheffield is slowly losing its identity if not totally lost it altogether as the poster above me has said any given successful to come out of here does right to move on and not come back,

so in my opinion a **** hole, if i had the means and money id be out of here as well, if only to go to somewhere else maybe just for the views.

Edited by Leadhammer

my one word would be Rundown or unmoved

A tricky one.

I moved from Liverpool to Sheffield in 1996. At the time I was of the certain opinion that Liverpool was a crime ridden dump and was glad to be out. Sheffield was a 'buzz' a vibrant modern place to be ( at least more than Liverpool). However it seems that the city has been in a time warp for about the last 10 years.

I went back to Liverpool for a weekend about 6 months ago for the first time since leaving. I don't know if it was because it was awarded the city of culture a few years back, whether there was euro money available or the council invested heavily. However with the waterfront, Liverpool 1 shops and the new developments (not a huge cheese grater car park) The place is 'alive'. Don't get me wrong I like Sheffield but wonder where it went wrong? I went to Sheffield city a couple a days ago for a night out. I know the weather did it no favours but walking down Division street with chip papers blowing round my feet and various home less types huddled in door ways, and several shops closed down with junk mail piling up in the letter box, left me wondering where did the 'buzz' go. ? What has Liverpool done that Sheffield has failed to do?

So what defines Sheffield...... 'Left behind'

Edited by Bluebottle

Can't believe all the negativity on here. I came to Sheffield for uni 6 years ago and haven't left. I'm from Lincoln (so yes, anything is an improvement) but I love the people here, the way they get behind anything, the Tour de Yorkshire being a good example. The city has some beautiful spots, great views from the hills (only one hill in Lincoln) and a really lively feel to it with an array of bars, pubs and restaurants. I like how the industrial past is remembered in the names of businesses, pubs or buildings but the city has moved on to become a thoroughly modern city, disproving the old myth that it's grim up North. I love it here.

As original poster said pot hole city. Councillors without a brain, lets tarmac the country roads first, then the side roads and if we don't run out of money we can do the main roads. ;)

Leearron.

I agree, as I said I like Sheffield and when I came here thought the same as you it was brilliant, but its just stood still !!!. I don't know if its a lack of cash or what but using Liverpool as the one example, or even Manchester. Sheffield is not evolving if Darwins theory applies to cities, Sheffield may be a Dodo !!

Word for sheffield -

Proper