South Yorkshire has the 2nd highest murder rate in the UK.

And I thought Sheffield was supposed to be one of the safest places around http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/crime/south-yorkshire-police-top-brass-discuss-county-s-homicide-rate-1-7122805

It is. and murder and violent crime are down year on year, even when you ignore the police reported figures. We are a much less violent society than we were even 30 years ago.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 19:52 ----------

Dare I say it........

City of Sanctuary??

There I said it. Make your own minds up about what this means.

Sorry I give up. Is it some casual racism so beloved of many on this forum? If not, I really give up. Please enlighten us.

I wonder how many people in the cities of sanctuary were consulted about their city getting itself awarded that title? Few if any I suppose.

I don't think you understand what "City of Sanctuary" actually is. It's not a title you are awarded for taking more asylum seekers or anything like that.

City of Sanctuary is a movement trying to promote a culture of hospitality for asylum seekers, it consists of volunteers trying to work with communities and local councils to make asylum seekers feel welcome and included and supported.

I don't know why people object to this, unless they just don't like foreigners.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2008/jun/04/asylum.support.sheffield

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 20:26 ----------

Crime statistics are not 100% reliable, however the homicide rate is probably one of the most reliable statistics, for obvious reasons.

If you look at the stats this Star article was about, what's interesting is that in 1967 the homicide rate per million of population was 7.3. In 2013/14 it was 9.2, having reached a peak in 2002/3 of 17.9.

It's also interesting that out of 526 homicides in 2013/14, the victim knew their killer in over 63% of cases. Over 80% of women victims knew their killers, compared to 54% of male victims.

I recommend looking at the stats, they're very interesting. They even go into the circumstances in which the crime were committed, and the location of the crime. Not what you might predict.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publications/re-reference-tables.html?edition=tcm%3A77-376027

Anyway, in relation to South Yorkshire, the number of homicides per million was indeed 16.9, secondly only to Bedfordshire (Bedfordshire?!). However, it's also worth noting that the number of homicides was 23 in 2013/14, which is lower than Greater Manchester, West Yorkshire, West Midlands, and Metropolitan. Bedfordshire only had 7 homicides.

I haven't found stats for Sheffield specifically yet.

Dare I say it........

City of Sanctuary??

There I said it. Make your own minds up about what this means.

95% of people who are murdered are done so by someone they know.

So hospitality to strangers isn't necessarily linked

Ok, found the city stats.

So in South Yorkshire, it breaks down like this (2013/14 again):

Sheffield: 11 homicides

Rotherham: 6

Doncaster: 4

Barnsley: 2

The stats I've found aren't quite the same as the stats the Star is reporting, homicides per million are different, but not far out - only a couple of points either way.

So Sheffield's 11 homicides makes our rate per million 19.7.

Here are the rates per million for the rest of South Yorkshire and some other places:

Sheffield: 19.7

Rotherham: 23.2

Doncaster: 13.2

Barnsley: 8.5

Bristol: 16.18

Bedford: 25.1

Luton: 34

Peterborough: 21.5

Hartlepool: 21.7

Middlesborough: 36

Copeland, Cumbria: 28.4 (2 murders out of a population of 70,300!)

Bolsover: 26.2

Torbay: 38

Bournemouth: 32

Darlington: 19

Cheltenham: 17.2

Gloucester: 32

Bolton: 17.9

Manchester: 21.5

Salford: 25

Gosport: 36

Hertsmere: 19.8

Kingston upon Hull: 19.4

Dover: 26.8

Lancaster: 28.6

Leicester: 27

Boston: 30.8

Lincoln: 21

Scarborough: 18.4

Kettering: 31.6

Mansfield: 28.6

Guildford: 21.5

Rugby: 19.8

Coventry: 18.6

Leeds: 17

I just picked some near or higher than Sheffield, for some kind of context.

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 21:14 ----------

95% of people who are murdered are done so by someone they know.

So hospitality to strangers isn't necessarily linked

63%, in fact. See above.

Dan

So is Middlesbrough and Torbay !

Glasgow/Strathclyde is higher than South Yorkshire.

Glasgow is violent??!?!?

Say it ain't so!

Glasgow is violent??!?!?

Say it ain't so!

Same as any big city, but definitely above figures given on here.

So is Middlesbrough and Torbay !

Having been to the place many times I can go with Middlesbrough but............ Torbay ?!!!

Because murder is rare, the results are heavily biased by each case.

So (hypothetically) if I go home tonight and murder the 2 people living next door to me, my street is statistically the one with the highest murder rate. That doesn't make my street a generally undesirable place to live though, each individual case skews the results heavily

Indeed the article says that 3 of the 23 murders were committed in the previous year, so the figure is 20 not 23.

Which likely means that South Yorkshire did not have the second highest murder rate that year.

It's another non-story from The Star!

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0046/00465657.pdf

18 homicides (which by the way includes both murder and manslaughter) in Glasgow in 2013/14. Population of Glasgow in 2011 was 598,830, so that makes a murder rate per million of 30.05.

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 07:34 ----------

Indeed the article says that 3 of the 23 murders were committed in the previous year, so the figure is 20 not 23.

Which likely means that South Yorkshire did not have the second highest murder rate that year.

It's another non-story from The Star!

Well, indeed, so we have to take the figures cautiously. But the same consideration would apply every year, and also to every other town. So it probably evens out more or less.

http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0046/00465657.pdf

18 homicides (which by the way includes both murder and manslaughter) in Glasgow in 2013/14. Population of Glasgow in 2011 was 598,830, so that makes a murder rate per million of 30.05.

---------- Post added 25-02-2015 at 07:34 ----------

Well, indeed, so we have to take the figures cautiously. But the same consideration would apply every year, and also to every other town. So it probably evens out more or less.

I will find out today if your stats are correct (from the horses mouth) so to speak. Don't always believe stats.