The best places to live?

You always make it sound like Stannington is akin to a ghetto :) We agree on Hillsborough, but Stannington isn't half bad. Of course there are certain parts best avoided, but at 1K a month that is almost a given.

At the OP: There are many nice parts to Sheffield. The general rule is: West (Extending from Northwest to Southwest) of the city is good, East of the city is not so good. There are exceptions, both good and bad, but that is to be expected in a city this size.

I know haha... but I really can't stand it anymore! The mere mention of it sends shivers down my spine.

The bad thing is I actually know some of the scroats that live up there and I wouldn't piddle on them if they were on fire!

I grew up in Stannington and I loved it, but I was also there to see it turn into a ghetto and I got out of there. Such a shame.

I know haha... but I really can't stand it anymore! The mere mention of it sends shivers down my spine.

The bad thing is I actually know some of the scroats that live up there and I wouldn't piddle on them if they were on fire!

I grew up in Stannington and I loved it, but I was also there to see it turn into a ghetto and I got out of there. Such a shame.

Hah :) I have the same with the village I grew up in (well, spend my 12th to 18th years) it was recently voted one of the most desirable places for families in the Netherlands :o

At the same time I do need to think about good primary and secondary schools, traffic congestion and all that kind of thing.

Where will you be working??

As with most major cities you don't want your home and job to be on opposite sides of town, forcing you to try and get across the city twice a day.

If you're going to be working close enough to a Tram stop, then start by looking at residential areas near the tram lines too.

I imagine that this has cropped up before - although the last thread is dated 2005. I know some people find it a very boring topic so I apologise in advance.

I might find myself moving to Sheffield next year. I don't know the place at all. Where are the best areas? I'm looking for the usual sort of things - medium size family house, nearby facilities, transport links, et cetera. I'm used to living in the inner suburbs of cities and don't really want the village life. Some good pubs will help me settle in.

I'm not after the leafiest, plushest part of town - would prefer to avoid these in some ways. At the same time I do need to think about good primary and secondary schools, traffic congestion and all that kind of thing.

Any suggestions? I'll rent first (and can pay around a £1000 per month).

Thank you.

I know you say you are not interested in the leafiest parts of town, but in general those are where the best Secondary Schools are, largely because the Secondary Schools in the South West of Sheffield are the only ones with Sixth Forms - though the others of course have access to Sixth Form College or to schools with Sixth Forms, but the lack of a Sixth Form in a school has a knock on effect on quality right the way through. If good schools are an issue for you the areas to look at are mainly S10, S11 and S17 with some parts of S6, S7 and S8. Good luck with your search. Sheffield is a great place to live.

Found this http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/images/Sheffield-where-to-live-big.jpg. It's subjective of course and even bigoted. I prefer more cosmopolitan areas

Some of those red areas are weirdly specific, I wonder how they came to that conclusion.

Probably just made up, they do describe most of the city as 'working class', I'd imagine they'd have problems finding Sheffield on a map :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

+1 for Hillsborough. Walkley and Crookes also have loads of amenities.

+2 for Hillsborough, Walkley and Crookes area

Edit: Places to avoid, in general: Pagehall, Parsons Cross (or - large parts of S5), Wincobank, Burngreave, Attercliffe, Darnall, Manor, Gleadless, Arbourthorne, area around London Road. Places to look at: Beauchief, Ranmoor, Nether Edge, Sharrow, Meersbrook, Crosspool, Millhouses. I'd add places like Walkley, Hillsborough, Stannington and Wadsley. When looking at the map keep in mind that Eclessall Road, Abbeydale Road and Holme Lane are huge bottlenecks at rush-hour as is the ringroad on the West (Hannover Way).

The vast majority of Gleadless, Charnock, Frecheville and Intake, in general S12 as a whole, is perfectly OK with the advantage that it has great public transport, good housing with pleasant suburbs, parks, shops and pubs also decent schools..........and the houses are still affordable for families:)

We and some of our neighbours have family in some of the more prestigious and "desirable" area's of the city and when you take a look at the traffic congestion heading that way at rush hour we realise how fortunate we are. After all, quality of life isn't dictated by the size of your mortgage!

£1000 per month will get you pretty much anywhere....

Take a look around the classifieds on here for an idea! :)

Hah :) I have the same with the village I grew up in (well, spend my 12th to 18th years) it was recently voted one of the most desirable places for families in the Netherlands :o

So why on earth did you move to Sheffield?!

For an academic, you're not very bright ;)

It's a difficult one. I'd say either side of Abbeydale Road so I'd say Heeley- Meersbrook-Greenhill-Norton-Beauchief seems to be attracting the young professional crowd at the moment, transport links are excellent but the only downside is the traffic on Chesterfield Road.

Then you have Nether Edge-Millhouses-Dore which is the other side of the Abbyedale Road which are all lovely area's.

Also have Crosspool-Lodge Moor- Fulwood-Ranmoor which is very family orientated. Seems lots of Headteachers, lectures from the Universities and Doctors live in this area. This I know because I used to work in a school in this area.

Then in North Sheffield, I'd say the outskirts of Hillsborough, so Worral and upto Grenoside, but then you have the nightmare of Penistone Rd to contend with each day but you do have the tram in Hillsborough.

Personally I'd recommend Woodseats area where I live. Excellent transport links, a good choice of shops and some lovely houses off Chesterfield Road.

Just my thoughts so hope it helps

The West side of the city has so many amenities. Crookes is great with Broomhill close by with great restaurants and pubs. Ecclesall Road is close by and Sharrowvale Road has some lovely individual shops and small restaurants.