The best places to live?

I imagine that this has cropped up before - although the last thread is dated 2005. I know some people find it a very boring topic so I apologise in advance.

I might find myself moving to Sheffield next year. I don't know the place at all. Where are the best areas? I'm looking for the usual sort of things - medium size family house, nearby facilities, transport links, et cetera. I'm used to living in the inner suburbs of cities and don't really want the village life. Some good pubs will help me settle in.

I'm not after the leafiest, plushest part of town - would prefer to avoid these in some ways. At the same time I do need to think about good primary and secondary schools, traffic congestion and all that kind of thing.

Any suggestions? I'll rent first (and can pay around a £1000 per month).

Thank you.

I'd suggest Meersbrook or Nether Edge. Both near enough to town to keep you interested, but both leafy, green and pleasant suburbs. Depending on which part you can walk to the v centre in 30 mins.

Both have excellent pubs, The Sheaf View, Brothers Arms, The Broadfield and The Byron are all proper pubs with the Broady serving superb food as well.

Hillsbrough (S6) area is good. Lots of different shops in the area itself & Good for getting into town centre from there. Loads of schools in and around the area.

Well within your budget of £1000 rent.

+1 for Hillsborough. Walkley and Crookes also have loads of amenities.

Grimesthorpe sheffield 4, or page hall and plenty of shops and buses.

S6 (but not stannington) or S35

Whats wrong with Stannington? Lived here for 25 years and love it. Access to the countryside within 100 yards, good transport links, decent schools and plenty of local amenities.

Houses that go up for sale generally sell within weeks.

Whats wrong with Stannington? Lived here for 25 years and love it. Access to the countryside within 100 yards, good transport links, decent schools and plenty of local amenities.

Houses that go up for sale generally sell within weeks.

Used to live there... was an absolutely brilliant place to live.

It is now a place that I avoid like the plague...

You obviously live right at the top!

Used to live there... was an absolutely brilliant place to live.

It is now a place that I avoid like the plague...

You obviously live right at the top!

You always make it sound like Stannington is akin to a ghetto :) We agree on Hillsborough, but Stannington isn't half bad. Of course there are certain parts best avoided, but at 1K a month that is almost a given.

At the OP: There are many nice parts to Sheffield. The general rule is: West (Extending from Northwest to Southwest) of the city is good, East of the city is not so good. There are exceptions, both good and bad, but that is to be expected in a city this size.

Edit: Places to avoid, in general: Pagehall, Parsons Cross (or - large parts of S5), Wincobank, Burngreave, Attercliffe, Darnall, Manor, Gleadless, Arbourthorne, area around London Road. Places to look at: Beauchief, Ranmoor, Nether Edge, Sharrow, Meersbrook, Crosspool, Millhouses. I'd add places like Walkley, Hillsborough, Stannington and Wadsley. When looking at the map keep in mind that Eclessall Road, Abbeydale Road and Holme Lane are huge bottlenecks at rush-hour as is the ringroad on the West (Hannover Way).

Edited by tzijlstra