Holiday accommodation and when you`ve got kids

How do other parents get round the problem of accommodation when on holiday with kids ?

At the moment our laddie is 2 years old and still in a travel cot (I realise it`ll get worse as he gets older......). But even now, if he has to share a room with us we not only get no privacy but it takes him forever to fall asleep, normally he`s a good sleeper and always has been.

The ideal is to get two rooms but that`s not practical or possible (and twice the price ! ) in a B&B or hotel. Most flats (on package tour type holidays) are one bedroom and if you want two the number available drops massively (and consequently the price goes up hugely). I don`t understand this because surely most parents would prefer a second bedroom for their kid(s) even if it`s only small ?

We`ve rented holiday cottages a few times and that works better, but they`re only really suitable if you`re staying a week or more, and it sometimes involves dealing with the owner directly. We've not actually had a problem doing this yet but it`s usually reassuring to know you`re booking with a larger company.

Added 4 Jun 16 :

How to filter for 2+ bed apartments with Jet2.

Edited by Justin Smith

We have three children and have a holiday every year, and its usually in a hotel, with one bedroom to share. Not ideal but its only for 2 weeks, so I just get on with it.

We've stayed in the UK for holidays since our 2 kids, who are 3 and a half, and 2 yrs old. We rent holiday cottages, either by the sea (Norfolk, and Lytham St Annes), or somewhere like York. Foreign holidays would be too much to deal with at the moment.

We've stayed in the UK for holidays since our 2 kids, who are 3 and a half, and 2 yrs old. We rent holiday cottages, either by the sea (Norfolk, and Lytham St Annes), or somewhere like York. Foreign holidays would be too much to deal with at the moment.

We have stayed at some nice UK flats / cottages, it`s relatively easier to find two bedroom properties in GB.

We did find that the choice of two bed apartments seems larger (or just easier to fathom) if you phone the company. A good exapmle is Travel Republic, we couldn`t get their Online system to quote us for a two bed apt for two adults and one child, although in their case even phoning them didn`t really help ! We did find phoning Jet2 Holidays (Freephone 0800 408 6306) gave quite a few two bedroom apartment options, some weren`t that much more than one bedroom properties.

Edited by Justin Smith

We've only done self catering holidays for that reason, I have one almost 3yr old. There are lots of suitable properties in the Lake District, we've also been to Jersery, Stockholm, Bruges & are going to Mallorca this summer. You often need to book travel & accommodation separately rather than use a typical travel agent.

Caravan? I know there not everyone's thing but when you've got kids I think they are a really good option. Plus if you get a modern they are really nice, have stopped in one with ensuite, double glazing, central heating, flat screen TV, DVD player.

Never done it but there are camping/caravan sites in Europe.

Caravan? I know there not everyone's thing but when you've got kids I think they are a really good option. Plus if you get a modern they are really nice, have stopped in one with ensuite, double glazing, central heating, flat screen TV, DVD player.

Never done it but there are camping/caravan sites in Europe.

We go on a boating holiday every year and since our little lad turned up we`ve been on two, we`re about to go on a third, on the Leeds Liverpool this time. They`re a great holiday with kid(s), they love it and they can have their own cabin, thus giving you some privacy ! The only down side is the expense, a boating holiday, particularly on canals (and especially in summer) is not a cheap holiday. One more thing, on canals I think you really need to take another adult or two (like Grandparents for instance) to look after the kid(s) whilst the boat is going through locks. More adults also means the cost per person comes down a bit, it`s possible to hire boats with 3 cabins (plus the dinette in the galley/living room) and two bathrooms !

Always liked the idea of going on holiday on a barge, although I think our kids are two small at moment (3 years and 7 months).

My Dad has also fancied the idea so might have to suggest it in a few years! We have been on holiday before with my parents and are going again this year but with separate caravans. Having extra hands always comes in handy with kids, even when your not on a canal.:)

Come to think of it my sister has also liked the idea of a canal holiday. So there's another option for us if she and my brother in law will put up with us for a week.

Always liked the idea of going on holiday on a barge, although I think our kids are too small at moment (3 years and 7 months).

My Dad has also fancied the idea so might have to suggest it in a few years! We have been on holiday before with my parents and are going again this year but with separate caravans. Having extra hands always comes in handy with kids, even when your not on a canal.:)

Come to think of it my sister has also liked the idea of a canal holiday. So there's another option for us if she and my brother in law will put up with us for a week.

Nah ! We went on the Brecon canal with our son at 4 months ! You`d do fine with your two though I recommend you take the Grandparents to keep them occupied when you`re locking or mooring or whatever. All boatyards provide life jackets to fit little kids.

I might have to suggest it for the next year, we have already booked a holiday with my parents this year.

I`ve cracked this, for Jet2 anyway, with a bit of help from a knowledgeable Jet2 chap).

From the home page on Jet2 Holidays select all the options on there (airport, country, dates etc) that you want leaving "rooms" on 1, then click "Find my holiday". When on this next page select "Room Type", then check the box "2+ bed apartment".

If you do your homework, you can often find 2 bed apartments (or 1 bed plus a sofa bed in the main room) for a similar price to a hotel room. We often use booking.com, which has an option to select for different accommodation types other than hotels.