Disability aids

Hi Huxley Have you contacted Social Services Aids and Adaptations Service? They can assess your aunties mobility to determine whether she needs a wheel chair or other mobility aids and if so she will get these items free.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 01:04 ----------

The British Red Cross may rent wheel chairs.

Hi Huxley Have you contacted Social Services Aids and Adaptations Service? They can assess your aunties mobility to determine whether she needs a wheel chair or other mobility aids and if so she will get these items free.

---------- Post added 04-06-2015 at 01:04 ----------

The British Red Cross may rent wheel chairs.

The man who came out to me from social services for my adaptions wasn't much cop. I needed a wetroom as using a bath was dangerous, due to my frequent passing out.

So what was prescribed for me?

A bath lift that was too high for me to get on and off, ( the bath side was too high for me to step over) and, as I pointed out to him, using the bath lift meant that there would need to be at least a foot of water in the bath for me to use it.

Now, any depth of water, even a couple of inches could prove a drowning hazard if I passed out.

As I pointed out to him, the only possible way I could conceivably drown whilst using a wet room shower would be if I suspended myself upsidedown, from the shower head.

He still insisted that all I was permitted to have was the bath seat.

Clarke's, the suppliers, condemned the seat shortly after, as unsafe because the suckers that were meant to secure the seat to the bath base would not adhere.

It was a shambles.

I wonder if the gentleman concerned remembers this? I remember it very well indeed. Vividly, in fact.

Thankfully, I now live in a property that suits what I need with a purpose-built wet room, stair lift and level wheelchair access, and have an OT who is on the ball regarding meeting needs.