Disability aids

Mum has had to move into a care home. She'd like her disability aids (wheelchair, perch stool, trolley/walking aid etc) to go to a charity. Anyone know of any charities that might be able to make use of these?

I also have some mobility aids .I E-mailed 3 charities. Dr Barnardos.

Emmaus and St Lukes. I had only one reply from St Lukes who thanked me for the offer but said they already had too many Mobility Aids in their shops.So i dont know of any other charities too try.

I think you'd be looking for a charity which can use your mum's aids for someone, rather than one which would sell the aids to raise money, but I'm afraid I don't know of one locally.

Sad that they won't take them to sell at a sensible rate though, since they are so expensive to buy new and there are so many who can't afford them and struggle without them.

Here's what Scope has to say about how you can recycle or reuse medical equipment:

https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/independent-living/used-equipment

If these aids were originally provided by the health authority/social services, they should be returned to them. Of course they can be disposed of in any way the owner sees fit if they were purchased by them.

THank you Medusa. I will look into these options

Hi there, I have a 92 year old auntie who has severe mobility problems. She has just come out of a lovely care home..back to her own little bungalow. She has had to pay several hundreds of pounds for a high seat chair and various other aids and a personal alarm, but she doesn't have a wheelchair yet. Do you think you would be happy to let her have your chair if you are struggling to find a charity to rehome it please? I'm sure she would be really grateful and it would mean we could take her to visit family without her needing to struggle with a zimmer frame. I could happily arrange collection if you would be kind enough to help out. Please feel free to pm me for more information. Many thanks!

Sheffield Carers shown at the top of this section will advertise them for you, free of charge.

I am very sorry to hear about your auntie. i am sorry but i no longer have the mobility aids That I could give to her. You could try St Lukes in Crookes as they were the ones who told me they had too many mobility aids and could not take mine. I hope they can help you.

Thank you so much, I will give them a call tomorrow..it's good of you to let me know.

huxley, if your relative needs a wheelchair, then her doctor can prescribe one for her through the NHS. (free of charge)

In the meantime if she is desperately in need of borrowing a wheelchair to tide her over till the ministry-supplied chair arrives, Shopmobility Sheffield provides an interim loan of wheelchairs, for a deposit of £20. The contact details and opening hours are in this sticky thread:-

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=9093907&postcount=17

Huxley. I got my Wheelchair by a refferrel from my gp. It comes from Mobility and Rehabilitration Centre at Northern general Hospital. They supply it and deliver it to your home Telephone No of centre is 0114 271 5566. Hope this helps

Thanks very much for the advice...that really is wonderful, she will be delighted if she can have one from the nhs. She worries about the outlay of all the various aids she is needing and I want to be able to make sure she has all the help she qualifies for. I'll letyou know how we get along, thanks again!