Any Heavy rock fans on here ?

I can isolate and listen to the drum riffs..

Oooh, Karnivool, like them :) a metalhead friend of mine posted their stuff on Facebook ages ago and I listened to it a lot for a while but not so much in the past couple of years, cheers for reminding me of them!

Aye, I'm partial to a bit of melodic death: Arch Enemy, Scar Symmetry to name a couple.

I actually already like tech death, just couldn't really get in to the original stuff as I couldn't get past the pointless gore lyrics. However, I've started to appreciate the music now, so I'm going the right way.

One band I discovered lately is Allegaeon: it's technical death, but with a groove almost like Pantera mixed in. Quite easy listening for such a brutal, aggressive genre.

Agreed about the silly gore lyrics, fortunately there seems to be a new breed of death metal around now which doesn't focus so heavily on that.

Obscura, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Augury, Soreption etc all have really interesting lyrics (even if you can't understand the vocalists half the time).

Agreed about the silly gore lyrics, fortunately there seems to be a new breed of death metal around now which doesn't focus so heavily on that.

Obscura, Psycroptic, Spawn of Possession, Augury, Soreption etc all have really interesting lyrics (even if you can't understand the vocalists half the time).

I've got Retribution by Obscura, which I think is a great album, but only heard one or two more. I'm waiting for the next Augury album as Fragmentary Evidence whetted my appetite for something more brutal than thrash when it came out. It's such a raw sounding album, especially the bass. A lot of the new death metal has such a clean, clinical production with all the crunch taken away, so something with a bit of gravel to it always wins with me.

Although, saying that, I love the first album by "deathcore" band Abiotic. It's got a really up to date production for a debut, but it absolutely crushes! I first listened to it through my good headphones and it felt like my head was in a vice, the sound was that dense... epic stuff!!!

Edited by leviathan13

Let's not let this thread die - here's a bunch of melodic death metal recommendations

Soilwork -

Noumena -

Omnium Gatherum - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfG0vLWgOhI

Mors Principium Est -

Dark Tranquillity -

In Flames (when they were good) -

Insomnium -

At The Gates -

Nightrage -

Dimension Zero -

Be'lakor -

Children of Bodom - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2njcV46WI

see theres a quiet riot film out soon, looks very sad, but good

Serious question, to keep the thread going and start a bit of debate:

Why do we love rock and metal, in all it's forms?

For example - the vocals. Taking the likes of Mercury, Planty, Gillan out of the equation, but of it doesn't involve 'singing'. Why would we want to listen to someone shouting/screaming/grunting? I know this is something I've struggled with over time, and still do to a point. The first metal I heard properly was things like Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Testament... why could I listen to their vocals, but hate the likes of Death and Cannibal Corpse etc. But, by that same token, how can I like Angela Gossow (ex-Arch Enemy) when, in effect, she was a death metal vocalist??

What is it that makes us say that One Direction can't sing, when we listen to vocalists who don't sing either?

I grew up with it my late bro was into zep sabbath purple etc and after constant ramming it down my throat l thought not bad this.

Ever since then its rock music all the way hate the term heavy metal its heavy rock for me..

54 this year and no other music style comes close..

Serious question, to keep the thread going and start a bit of debate:

Why do we love rock and metal, in all it's forms?

For example - the vocals. Taking the likes of Mercury, Planty, Gillan out of the equation, but of it doesn't involve 'singing'. Why would we want to listen to someone shouting/screaming/grunting? I know this is something I've struggled with over time, and still do to a point. The first metal I heard properly was things like Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Testament... why could I listen to their vocals, but hate the likes of Death and Cannibal Corpse etc. But, by that same token, how can I like Angela Gossow (ex-Arch Enemy) when, in effect, she was a death metal vocalist??

What is it that makes us say that One Direction can't sing, when we listen to vocalists who don't sing either?

not 100% sure

Why do rock fans hate "dance music"

Why do "dance music" fans hate rock music?

both generally do it with a passion.

Personally speaking im a sonic explorer, i just love music so i do listen to both, and lots more.

BUT

My 32 years into punk and also a side helping of rock and metal, particularly of the Thrash metal persuasion shows i think that i live for extremes, the power, the anger, the angst, the noise. i do also find these in some of my favourite "dance music" choons too lol

i hate the more middle of the road bands generally

---------- Post added 26-05-2015 at 18:34 ----------

I grew up with it my late bro was into zep sabbath purple etc and after constant ramming it down my throat l thought not bad this.

Ever since then its rock music all the way hate the term heavy metal its heavy rock for me..

54 this year and no other music style comes close..

mine was adam and the ants and then punk in the early 80s BUT i also still remember hearing Rush and Iron Maiden on the radio for the first time when they came out.

Maiden was Number of the beast.

Rush was Countdown / Tom Sawyer

There isn't any music that I 'hate' and not much apart from soulless teen pop and modern jazz that I really dislike. I don't think much to a lot of the thrash and death metal that I come into contact with purely because I think that most of it needs you to have familiarity to get on with it and I don't really have motivation to listen repeatedly. The hardest and most technical that I've wished to listen to enough to get familiar is Mastodon.

I like dance music, I like classical, I like folk, I also like metal and rock. I don't think that they are at all exclusive of each other, just more appropriate for different moods. The Mozart Requiem mood is as important as the Kill 'Em All mood :)

Well to be honest l did have Abba. Elton John, Donna Summer, Kate Bush albums in my late teens before rock music took hold.