Any Heavy rock fans on here ?

If anyone's interested - those of a thrashier persuasion - Annihilator are at the O2 Academy in October.

Just been playing my new vinyl aquisition

Enslaved -In times (double lp, GF sleeve, etched side 4), t shirt bundle.

awesome, the trippy pink floyd esque musicianship is amazing. And the trippy dark lyrics brilliant too

Just been playing my new vinyl aquisition

Enslaved -In times (double lp, GF sleeve, etched side 4), t shirt bundle.

awesome, the trippy pink floyd esque musicianship is amazing. And the trippy dark lyrics brilliant too

I've only heard one Enslaved album - Riitiir.

Do want to check out more though as I love the proggy element of the later stuff. I can't get on with a lot of black metal, but they're different.

I've only heard one Enslaved album - Riitiir.

Do want to check out more though as I love the proggy element of the later stuff. I can't get on with a lot of black metal, but they're different.

tbh this is the only one ive heard (i downloaded it illegally *boo hiss* lol) but loved it on 2 plays to buy the vinyl and tshirt bundle for £27 (£34 with postage if i remember right)

it has to be said its one of the best albums (not just metal) ive heard in a long time, absolutely love it. apparently every one of their albums are different in sound, im hoping the next album goes further down the prog route as thats what makes it great in my opinion. very dark and trippy and interesting lyrically, aswell as musically.

the title tracks got some great proggy moments in

also enjoyed the track one thousand years of rain, pretty dark subject matter wise lol

also recently enjoyed some death metal

Howls of ebb - vigils of the 3rd eye

its death metal with weird trippy free jazz style time signatures and structures, awesome, one of the best death metal albums i have ever heard, because its weird, different and not treading the same path

https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/vigils-of-the-3rd-eye

tbh again i originally illegally downloaded it but liked it enough to find the bandcamp page and buy the cd (the booklets immense too, very strange) apparently theyre american but the labels based in Italy

Shall check them out Mel!

I'm determined to get in to death metal properly, so was asking someone I know for advice. Going to check out the old school stuff like Death, but I had a trip to HMV yesterday and picked up a 6 disc boxset of Obituary for £15!

I've recently discovered the delights of doom/stoner/sludge. I picked up Yob's last album as it was one of Terrorizer's albums of the year. It's absolutely crushing! Clearing the Path to Ascend - 4 tracks of doomy proggy sludge!

Also loving stuff like Orange Goblin, Red Fang and similar. Love the loose groovy vibe to the genre.

Shall check them out Mel!

I'm determined to get in to death metal properly, so was asking someone I know for advice. Going to check out the old school stuff like Death, but I had a trip to HMV yesterday and picked up a 6 disc boxset of Obituary for £15!

I've recently discovered the delights of doom/stoner/sludge. I picked up Yob's last album as it was one of Terrorizer's albums of the year. It's absolutely crushing! Clearing the Path to Ascend - 4 tracks of doomy proggy sludge!

Also loving stuff like Orange Goblin, Red Fang and similar. Love the loose groovy vibe to the genre.

yeah i love stuff like orange goblin, kyuss, eyehategod, queens of the stoneage, earthless, electric wizard

and of course the mighty monster magnet.

also one of the best thrash metal bands ive enjoyed of late is a band called Lich King, i downloaded their Do over ep from last year and its bloody ace

it features tracks like

Black metal sucks (with funny as hell lyrics like "you sound like a wounded duck")

Crossover Songs Are Too Damn Short

Toxic Zombie Onslaught

and a cover of Van Halens - hot for teacher lol

Edited by melthebell

That sounds cool - will give 'em a spin sometime!

I managed to come across a 6 disc boxset from Obituary the other day. Was only £15. Currently attempting to get in to classic death metal.

If you're after classic DM, i'd strongly recommend checking out Morbid Angel, Deicide, Possessed, Immolation and Cannibal Corpse.

Death Metal is pretty wild and diversified in it's own way, so those bands should give you a solid foundation to start with, before experimenting with stuff like tech death or progressive death.

The one I've been getting into lately is Insomnium's

. This apparently belongs to a subgenre called melodic death metal now.

^ Very good choice of band. If you like Insomnium, give a band called Omnium Gatherum a try. Very similar style and they share a guitarist.

Melodic death is probably my favourite metal subgenre so if you'd like any suggestions let me know and i'll dump a load of names here :)

Hi guys seems like there's a lot of different likes on here good to see .Lots of bands l have never heard of theres nothing like listening to new bands .

Some prog metal recommendations, tried to stick to the non screamy stuff -

Anubis Gate -

Angra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqNEXzPMOf8

Pain of Salvation -

Devin Townsend Band -

Zero Hour -

Portal -

Nevermore -

Cynic -

Orphaned Land -

Leprous -

Opeth (pretty well known but their last 2 albums are vastly different to what came before) -

Enochian Theory -

Karnivool -

Dead Letter Circus -

Enjoy :)