Any Heavy rock fans on here ?

Sad news Lemmys died long live Rock n roll R.I.P@

Yep, a legend gone. Still, 70 is a grand old age if you take his lifestyle in account!

Some upcoming gigs that I'm attending and to look out for:

Thunder supported by Terrorvision at the Arena - Friday 19th Feb

Sabaton/Alestorm in Manchester - Saturday 27th Feb (sold out - luckily I got my ticket in time!)

Blind Guardian doing a bit of a tour in May, I think - dates in Manchester and Nottingham on a Saturday

A stoner/doom-laden festival at the O2 Academy in Sheffield in October featuring Candlemass and Orange Goblin

Finally - I've recently gotten in to Clutch! Their new album is awesome! Absolutely addicted to it at the moment. I urge you to go and buy Psychic Warfare - your ears will love you for the rest of eternity!!!!!

Recently purchased media:

DSOTM, ...And Justice for All and Appetite for Destruction (original cover) on vinyl from a second hand record shop on Abbeydale Road. Premium prices these days, but I don't mind for owning pieces of musical history. Especially considering the sleeve of DSOTM in full 12" glory!!!

Also, I managed to find a bargain in HMV - a Scar Symmetry album for £2.99! I had a spare tenner, so decided to compliment that with Set the Dial by Black Tusk for £6.99. Rare to find two decent albums for a tenner these days. Often the stuff in sales is either old or naff.

Was indeed a rock fan all those years ago. Sad to say most of the music fails to move me any more. The CDs collect dust. I still play Blue Oyster Cult and Barclay James Harvest (I know not really rock as such) but that's about it. I'm actually exploring old quality pop music these days. How strange: time changes everything.

If anyone is interested, there seems to be a bit of a metal revival in Sheffield for gigs:

Arch Enemy playing Corp on Monday 22nd August

The newly reformed Akercocke (Satanic black prog-metal) and Obscura (tech-death metal) also playing at Corp later in the year

And, a doom/stoner/sludge festival at the O2 Academy in October featuring Candlemass and Orange Goblin

It's about time Sheffield got some decent rock/metal going on!!!

Not in Sheffield, but should be a decent gig: Amon Amarth headlining tour with support from the mighty Testament!

Just to tie in to something the OP mentioned, on Tuesday night I went to the University to see the author Simon Reynolds do a talk to promote his book 'Shock And Awe - The Glamrock Legacy'. One of the questions he faced was 'Why did Glam die?'. He respectfully pointed out that it didn't and used examples such as Duran Duran, Japan, Adam & the Ants, Kiss, Sheffield's own Def Leppard, Hanoi Rocks and any number of hair-metal bands who have kept the original idea alive. Make-up and a big drum sound. That's what Glam was all about and I guess he's right. The hair-metalers owe an awful lot to Glam.

The new Testament album was released last Friday. Any of the metal heads given it a go?

I was so giddy for it, and am glad to say that it's an epic slab of modern thrash. Only on my third listen to it, but there are already a few of the tracks which are sticking in my head.

For me, it's a mix of the last four albums - from Demonic to Dark Roots of Earth - which means it's got the distinctive Testament thrash sound, but with some added groove which makes it pretty accessible. Also, with Gene Hoglan on drums, it's astonishing just how tight the sound is.

All I can say is, from what I've heard of Metallica's new album, the thrash gauntlet has been well and truly laid down!