3 UK schoolgirls "travelling to Syria"

You are talking about forced marriages, arranged marriages are totally different.

So talking about arranged marriages,who does the arranging its the parents and familys I presume.What if the girl dosent like whos chosen does she have a say in the matter.

You are talking about forced marriages, arranged marriages are totally different.

In that case then, many marriages that I have heard referred to as 'arranged marriages' must be in fact 'forced marriages' because in my experience this is what I have witnessed happening.

Also, in my experience there are many types of 'arranged marriages' which vary greatly from family to family and some young people do get more say in the outcomes than others but the bottom line is that many young people will not be able to make their own free decision on the matter and will not get a free choice of a partner nor are they able to have relationships that prepares them for marriage, unlike the overwhelming majority of their peers. For some, the only chance they have of a free choice is to lose all ties with their family.

When you are are growing up in Britain and your friends are choosing boyfriends/girlfriends and husbands/wives/life partners based on how they 'feel' about the person and are attracted to them and at the same time you are being withdrawn from that process, and know that you couldn't possibly act on any feelings you might have towards another person, it is extremely difficult, and sometimes soul destroying for some young people.

Because they're children, and even though children sometimes do terrible things, it doesn't mean that we as a country can turn our backs on our responsibilities towards them.

Surely it's the responsibility of their parents not the state.

I heard these are Grade A students; says a lot about our education system.

Let's do away with Social Services, NSPCC, Samaritans, Action for children, CEOP, Childline.

Let's do away with Social Services, NSPCC, Samaritans, Action for children, CEOP, Childline.

There's one view although not mine.

Seen some interviews on the TV of some of the children's parents or siblings and the comments appear to be centred around why didn't the police or the authorities act sooner; what I haven't heard is what did the actual parents do to prevent this in the first place. Surely the cause needs addressing and not just the effect.

Sitting in ones bedroom chatting with all your Facebook friends doesn't seem that the parents even knew what they were doing; why?

There's one view although not mine.

Seen some interviews on the TV of some of the children's parents or siblings and the comments appear to be centred around why didn't the police or the authorities act sooner; what I haven't heard is what did the actual parents do to prevent this in the first place. Surely the cause needs addressing and not just the effect.

Sitting in ones bedroom chatting with all your Facebook friends doesn't seem that the parents even knew what they were doing; why?

Surely social services would normally only become involved if there is a problem with the parenting.

Like one could ever be condoned over the other in liberal western societies.

I suppose when one talks about torture, sticking bamboo sticks under fingernails must appear totally different to waterboarding or sleep deprivation.

Or, when one talks about executing, a firing squad must appear totally different to beheading or torching.

:roll:

It's the responsibility of both, unsurprisingly.

Parents for keeping an eye on what their kids get up to, the State for monitoring and cracking social media recruiters'/activists' heads.

These girls no doubt were groomed online by European-based sympathisers, then helped to travel on fake passports supplied by those same European-based sympathisers, maybe even a local (UK) group.

Tons and tons and tons of (published) evidence, articles and testimonies about these networks, how they operate, and how they are being actively pursued by EU and US police/intelligence. And many arrests amongst these in France, Belgium, Germany and elsewhere in the wake of the Paris shootings in January 2015 and that is still ongoing. It doesn't seem to be of much interest to British mass media, however.

What does it say about our education system? :huh: Edited by L00b

"It's the responsibility of both, unsurprisingly." - that does surprise me that its both. Must have been happening covertly when I grew up but then again we didn't have social media when I was 15.

"What does it say about our education system?" - that grade A students can be coerced into leaving their families without being taught the dangers of may well happen. I am assuming that the parents didn't/couldn't make them aware nor did/could their schools.

I remember my mother telling me not to get into a car with strangers; I never did, that was enough for me.

"It's the responsibility of both, unsurprisingly." - that does surprise me that its both.
Why does it surprise you?

Are you therefore saying that it can only be the responsibility of one or the other?

Do you have kids?

"What does it say about our education system?" - that grade A students can be coerced into leaving their families without being taught the dangers of may well happen.
I'm still failing to see what the British education system has to do with that.

It has never been the place of teachers/schools to regiment pupils' lives and life choices.

Intelligence or educational achievement has at times little to do with the wisdom (or not) of a choice. I mean, I'm sure there's surgeons, PhD holders and other gold-plated triple-A academic overachievers intending to vote for UKIP.

I am assuming that the parents didn't/couldn't make them aware nor did/could their schools.I remember my mother telling me not to get into a car with strangers; I never did, that was enough for me.
See? Nothing to do with the education system, all to do with parenthood. Edited by L00b

Why does it surprise you?

Are you therefore saying that it can only be the responsibility of one or the other?

Because that's my experience growing up as a 15 year old by my parents with no visible interference of the state; that's why I am surprised.

Do you have kids?
Yes

It has never been the place of teachers/schools to regiment pupils' lives and life choices.

See?

Nothing to do with the education system, all to do with parenthood.
But that's where I started saying it was the responsibility of parents. :loopy:

Because that's my experience growing up as a 15 year old by my parents with no visible interference of the state; that's why I am surprised.
Go back to my post. Read it again:

It's the responsibility of both, unsurprisingly.

Parents for keeping an eye on what their kids get up to, the State for monitoring and cracking social media recruiters'/activists' heads.

Parents can't routinely hack into FB, Twitter and such and ID who's posting ISIS propaganda and grooming impressionable young minds, and act on that info. The State can, and does, in the background.

Do you understand now, or do you need pictures to go with it?

But that's where I started saying it was the responsibility of parents. :loopy:
You started saying, eh? :roll: Nice way to try and obfuscate the context of your post.

JFKvNixon quite correctly said:

Because they're children, and even though children sometimes do terrible things, it doesn't mean that we as a country can turn our backs on our responsibilities towards them.

You then said:

When I asked you what you meant with the bold bit above, you then said:

that grade A students can be coerced into leaving their families without being taught the dangers of may well happen. I am assuming that the parents didn't/couldn't make them aware nor did/could their schools.
And when I then post that it's nothing to do with the education system and all to do with the parents, you then claim that's what you always said?

God loves people with monochromatic thought processes :loopy:

Edited by L00b

Yes

See? But that's where I started saying it was the responsibility of parents. :loopy:

Weren't social services in Rotherham scared to intervene in the grooming cases in case it upset the ethnic minorities?