Having kids for benefits

I don't really understand people who want mega large families, but if they do that's up to them a long as they don't expect other people to pay for it.

I'm sure the number of people who do it for benefits are relatively rare, but I do feel sorry for the kids.

Personally, I think that in the future, (a date at least 1 year in advance to give people a chance to plan their families,) child benefit should be capped at 2 or 3 children.

I don't really understand people who want mega large families, but if they do that's up to them a long as they don't expect other people to pay for it.

I'm sure the number of people who do it for benefits are relatively rare, but I do feel sorry for the kids.

Personally, I think that in the future, (a date at least 1 year in advance to give people a chance to plan their families,) child benefit should be capped at 2 or 3 children.

What's wrong with expecting other people to pay for it? Might not be moral but it's legal. Let's not forget how important morals are to people on here. Sod the tax payer, exploit every loophole possible and take everything you can!

No, anyone can register for a council house at any time, you can either take one on a first-come first served basis, or go on the waiting list to get one near where you want. Having kids does not bump you up the queue except for overcrowding. Maybe you should give up watching Channel 5

If a single mother walks into the housing office and says she is homeless - or about to be homeless (i.e. 'my mum is kicking me out'), she gets priority. No waiting list or first come first served. With priority, you can expect to be rehomed in about 2 months.

It's a well known method; when I had the misfortune of living at Manor Top, I had a lot of single mums as neighbours and they all did this approach.

If a single mother walks into the housing office and says she is homeless - or about to be homeless (i.e. 'my mum is kicking me out'), she gets priority. No waiting list or first come first served. With priority, you can expect to be rehomed in about 2 months.

It's a well known method; when I had the misfortune of living at Manor Top, I had a lot of single mums as neighbours and they all did this approach.

Oh right, Channel 5 viewer. How do you explain the record number of homeless families then?

Oh right, Channel 5 viewer. How do you explain the record number of homeless families then?

I did a little questionaire on shelters website as a pregnant teenager who has just been chucked out by the parents. I'm entitled to tempory housing and I may get priority for a council house. Their words not mine.

I did a little questionaire on shelters website as a pregnant teenager who has just been chucked out by the parents. I'm entitled to tempory housing and I may get priority for a council house. Their words not mine.

Being pregnant isn't what you described though, it was a single mother, ie already has a child. (Not sure if that would materially change anything, but it might).

That's right. A two parent family with children would be temporarily housed too, as would an elderly person/couple or indeed anyone considered 'vulnerable'. Their homeless claim would be investigated, as the help given depends to an extent on the reasons why a household is homeless. The Shelter website questionnaire is a simple tool that can be used to check if someone is entitled to priority for housing.

The greatest problems are of course in areas where social housing supply and demand is way out of kilter, such as the London boroughs. A family in Sheffield who are assessed as being in priority need won't have to wait very long for housing, if they are realistic about the type of property (more likely to be a maisonette or flat than a house) and where it's situated. Gleadless Valley and Winn Gardens regularly have properties advertised with no waiting time (they currently have several), but those aren't everyone's choice. If someone is too choosy, they may have their priority status removed and end up with nothing.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council_when_homeless/homelessness_are_you_homeless

https://www.sheffieldpropertyshop.org.uk/Data/ASPPages/1/43.aspx?&CurrentPage=4

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Sorry, I've presented you with the facts about homeless priority. As someone who was once homeless and had to ask the council for somewhere to live, I perhaps have a better understanding of how the system works than yourself.

Obviously the more children the single parent has, the harder it is to find somewhere for them to live and they'll have to be in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B until a suitable property is found.

Care to elaborate on your statement regarding 'record' numbers of homeless families, and how your figures differentiate from Shelter?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/housing_facts_and_figures/subsection?section=homeless_households

If you actually read the linked article, it also states the most common reason for homelessness is being ejected from the parent's home, at 32%, which goes a long way to collaborate what the single parents used to tell me when I lived at Manor Top.

I have four children. My husband and I both work and it's a struggle. I think we're still struggling at the moment because we moved house last year and it cost us a fortune, plus the house needs so much doing to it. There seems to be very little or no spare cash at the moment. I honestly don't know how people that don't earn a wage get by and from watching some of these horrible benefit programmes I don't really think they do. I think it's a bit of a misconception because a lot look like they are living in squalor. On the subject of claiming MORE benefits because your child has special educational needs, I don't understand why having a child with ADHD means that you need more money? My eldest son has autistic spectrum disorder and doesn't cost any more to keep. He's not disabled; he has pretty bad speech delays, he has horrendous meltdowns, is invasive of others personal space, has very few social skills and is meticulous in how he has to do things. This is not a disability requiring an "allowance", this is a state of mind that my husband and I, his siblings, other close family, friends and teacher simply have to accept and cope with calmly and rationally on a daily basis. I'm skeptical that parents with children with these kinds of behavioural issues are getting their doctors to diagnose in order to acquire more benefits tbh.

I have four children. My husband and I both work and it's a struggle. I think we're still struggling at the moment because we moved house last year and it cost us a fortune, plus the house needs so much doing to it. There seems to be very little or no spare cash at the moment. I honestly don't know how people that don't earn a wage get by and from watching some of these horrible benefit programmes I don't really think they do. I think it's a bit of a misconception because a lot look like they are living in squalor. On the subject of claiming MORE benefits because your child has special educational needs, I don't understand why having a child with ADHD means that you need more money? My eldest son has autistic spectrum disorder and doesn't cost any more to keep. He's not disabled; he has pretty bad speech delays, he has horrendous meltdowns, is invasive of others personal space, has very few social skills and is meticulous in how he has to do things. This is not a disability requiring an "allowance", this is a state of mind that my husband and I, his siblings, other close family, friends and teacher simply have to accept and cope with calmly and rationally on a daily basis. I'm skeptical that parents with children with these kinds of behavioural issues are getting their doctors to diagnose in order to acquire more benefits tbh.

maybe if you looked into it you could be getting some help either monetary\ or speech therapy for your child. if your entitled to extra take it that's what its there for:thumbsup:

maybe if you looked into it you could be getting some help either monetary\ or speech therapy for your child. if your entitled to extra take it that's what its there for:thumbsup:

He is still under the speech and language therapist and Rygate said they will see him once a year.

Sod morals..........take the government to the cleaners! Take every penny you can, then see how you can get more!