Slight traffic ticket trap

I saw a traffic warden putting tickets on cars on Primrose hill, near St Bartholomew's church. I asked him why, he says its a clearway. There are no yellow lines, and the smallest sign on the other side of the road. I don't drive luckily, but I can see how people would park there unwittingly.

Clearways are signed in zones, as you enter and as you leave. And don't require yellow lines.

I saw a traffic warden putting tickets on cars on Primrose hill, near St Bartholomew's church. I asked him why, he says its a clearway. There are no yellow lines, and the smallest sign on the other side of the road. I don't drive luckily, but I can see how people would park there unwittingly.

Clearways don't need yellow lines..they are denoted by a sign:

https://runnymederesidents.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/clearway20sign20image.jpg

Have a look one day, and you could see how people could get caught out. I'm not a driver. I may be wrong.

Just looked on google maps - street view.

It appears the bottom 20 yards is clearway, see the sign that it ends on left hand side?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Primrose+Hill,+Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire+S6+2UW/@53.39538,-1.489197,3a,75y,246.92h,91.5t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1skOA6XpN3482m6K7Pa9TekA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x48797891d5ce6a43:0xf2f8aca934782b6

This is similar to all side roads off Middlewood road above the park, so watch it there especially match time when they are guaranteed to be giving tickets!

Have a look one day, and you could see how people could get caught out. I'm not a driver. I may be wrong.

Yep..look at the map on FORE's link..shows the end/start of the clearway..they do this so that people don't park too near the junction causing an obstruction which may back up onto the main road..

I think it is all to do with the tram track. They want to ensure that all exits are kept clear so that in an emergency, vehicles can get out of the way so they do not block trams.

I think it is all to do with the tram track. They want to ensure that all exits are kept clear so that in an emergency, vehicles can get out of the way so they do not block trams.

You are correct. The 24 hour clearway restrictions were introduced 20 years ago to keep the tram route clear. This was at the insistence of Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate (HMRI) who are the regualtory body for rail networks.

This followed on from experience in Manchester, where they protected the tram route and junctions along it with double yellow lines with loading restrictions. Manchester found that there were still problems with drivers parking up the side streets on the double yellows and obstructing large vehicles who were turning into the side streets, thus obstructing trams. To advoid this happening in Sheffield, HMRI required the use of the 24 hour clearways, which mean you can't stop for any reason.

.......... HMRI required the use of the 24 hour clearways, which mean you can't stop for any reason.

Not even to answer your mobile phone? That's ludicrous :huh: