SCC Blasted For Spending £700K On Translation In 3 Years

The Government sets protocols that have to be followed by local Authorities.

This isn't just a Sheffield propblem- it's a nationwode one. I bet there are other cities that have spent far more on interpreters.

How on earth is it disgusting to ensure a person is aware of their housing options/ or kept updated around their children's wellbeing? It's a basic right.

What is a little more disgusting is the amount interpreters charge local authorities.

Please think before you jump on the band wagon.

The Government protocol is to stop spending money translating things. The council is making a financial rod for it's own back by performing translations and interpreters for free.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/translation-into-foreign-languages

"So called do-gooders"? So-called by people who don't like whoever they consider a "do-gooder".

No, it's a good thing for all of us if certain documents are translated so that people whose first language is not English can access information about health, democracy, and other essential information.

Again, if you come to this country and are learning English, you don't go from speaking little English to understanding complex information perfectly in a matter of months. You're going to need support. And that support will mean some language support too.

I can understand the logic of people who just don't want any immigration at all and are against translation, or people who only want immigration from people who already speak English perfectly. A lack of language support makes us that much more unwelcoming. But be honest, eh?

Over my working life I have dealt with many people who have been in this country for years and still speak very little English if any at all.I don't have problems with leaflets etc to help out but I do Object to using public money for supplying translaters if the people come here it should be up to them to either find a translater or pay to learn the English language and not rely on others.

Do you have a basic grasp of foreign languages when you go on holiday or do you just berate the locals loudly for not speaking English?

Completely different scenario, Brits add a hell of a lot more to the Spanish/Greek economy than our immigrants do

You see, what I can't understand in this modern age, is why we actually have to have a translator.

Even if Google translate isn't up to the job there are many applications out there that are.

They need to spend more on translation. There are no translations to dutch or german, maybe I should complain about that matter.

Not really answering the original point here so apologies but I have offered my services to many groups around the city to teach English as a Second Language and have found it almost impossible to give my skills (Two years experience of teaching in Poland) away.

Might try again. Anyone want to join me?

They need to spend more on translation. There are no translations to dutch or german, maybe I should complain about that matter.

I have found that most Dutch and Germans have better English language skills than many of the local posters on Sheffield forum. When I was living in Sweden, on an international project, one of the Dutch guys could translate jokes from most languages and still make them funny, that takes real skill.

Not really answering the original point here so apologies but I have offered my services to many groups around the city to teach English as a Second Language and have found it almost impossible to give my skills (Two years experience of teaching in Poland) away.

Might try again. Anyone want to join me?

Only two words you need to teach them

Money, work, money, work, money.

Completely different scenario, Brits add a hell of a lot more to the Spanish/Greek economy than our immigrants do

Would you care to offer some statistics for that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pretty_big View Post

I think they are referring to holiday makers so when we go there all we do is spend money and take nothing from their countries not even a burden on their health systems

Quote:

Originally Posted by pretty_big View Post

I think they are referring to holiday makers so when we go there all we do is spend money and take nothing from their countries not even a burden on their health systems

I strongly suspect that the A&E in Benidorm have a different story to tell.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/benidorm-er