SCC Blasted For Spending £700K On Translation In 3 Years

In my opinion, translation should be done, but not automatically. And only the documentation should be translated. Translators should not be paid for, when other vital services are being cut. If I go on holiday I learn. Enough of the countries language to get by. This is probably more than the typical Englishman abroad. When I was in France, my French was terrible, but they appreciated me trying.

Imagine a Slovak speaker, whose English is weak, gets assaulted. When interviewed by Police, the police would find it useful to have an interpreter present to make sure they understand the evidence the Slovak speaker is giving.

SCC doesn't pay for that. The Police have to pay for their own interpreters, which is a legal requirement. As has been pointed out in this thread earlier, only the Police have a legal requirement to provide interpreters.

£209k on interpreters in 2014

http://www.southyorks.police.uk/foi/disclosurelog/interpreter-spend-financial-years

I think evidence is a good thing when we're making prejudicial comments about people "making no effort" to learn.

To the census we can add the evidence of 2013/14 expenditure, which again does not suggest a massive problem with people who have "made no effort" to learn English, given the small numbers involved.

Dan

At the end of the day I wouldn't have a problem with spending all this money if people like YOU was to pay for it and not put the burden on the rest of us who have to suffer cut backs in other essential services which affects people who have contributed to the system over the years....End of.

Edited by esme
quote tags

At the end of the day I wouldn't have a problem with spending all this money if people like YOU was to pay for it and not put the burden on the rest of us who have to suffer cut backs in other essential services which affects people who have contributed to the system over the years....End of.

Ok. I'll go with that. I've had to use the services of the police once in my life. I have no kids. I have private healthcare though my work so rarely use NHS hospital services apart from my GP who I have seen once in the last 5 years. I drive and pay 'road tax'. 2 of us live in our house and pay full council tax.

So based on your logic can I get a refund of the entire money paid to the fire brigade, most of what is paid to the police, all money set aside for schools and children's services, most of the hospital budget. I'll grudgingly pay for pensions I suppose as I do have parents. Who do I write to for my refund?

Edited by esme
Quote tags

Ok. I'll go with that. I've had to use the services of the police once in my life. I have no kids. I have private healthcare though my work so rarely use NHS hospital services apart from my GP who I have seen once in the last 5 years. I drive and pay 'road tax'. 2 of us live in our house and pay full council tax.

So based on your logic can I get a refund of the entire money paid to the fire brigade, most of what is paid to the police, all money set aside for schools and children's services, most of the hospital budget. I'll grudgingly pay for pensions I suppose as I do have parents. Who do I write to for my refund?

These are called Emergency services and as a result are their for Emergencies!!

Also and they carry essential services etc until called upon.They have all had to cut thousands off their budgets just like the rest of us.

Edited by esme
quote tags

IN Paris all local authority documents go out in one language. French

The French are very insecure about their language against their perceived threat of Anglicisation.

These are called Emergency services and as a result are their for Emergencies!!

Also and they carry essential services etc until called upon.They have all had to cut thousands off their budgets just like the rest of us.

Schools are an emergency service are they?

---------- Post added 24-02-2015 at 15:33 ----------

IN Paris all local authority documents go out in one language. French

Except as has already been said in this thread, they go out in English too...but you only came here advertising purposes didn't you?

Edited by esme
quote tags

Schools are an emergency service are they?

Well Obviously not but its an essential part of everyone's lives and something we don't have a choice in so don't know why you have to be so pedantic.

Edited by esme
quote tags