Opinions/experiences of old peoples care homes.

My 103 year old grand mother is currently in hospital but as there is nothing seriously medically wrong with her, we have been advised to look for a care home for her.

Does anyone have any positive /negative experiences, recommendations etc.

We mostly live near the Littledale Estate off Prince of Wales Rd , so somewhere close by. (well we do drive, so within a sort of 15 minute drive)

Thank you

I am told that the Littledale care home is now closed and Hazledene is not an option as we have had experience of them.

Edited by joffandanmum

I can highly recommend Haythorne Place Care Home on Shiregreen lane, My mom was in there for ten years that speaks for itself.

Mostly offer a very basic programme of basic physical care and very little else. Only use these places as a last resort. Generally dreadful, impersonal places.

Take a look on the CQC web sites (Inspectors of care homes etc) for any care homes in the local area, you can get a good idea from the ratings they have been given.

I used to work at a BUPA care home in Sheffield, they were very good.

I think the best thing is to go and take a look at a Care home your interested in, look at the cleanliness of the place, the staff ratio to residents and how the staff treat the residents. Think about staff qualifications, and how the staff treat each other. Also take a note of the smell of the building, hopefully it won't smell too badly of urine.

Do the hospital not recommend care homes? I thought they did.

Could your Gran not stay at home with carer's coming several times a day?

Good luck in your search.

Thank you for your advice, she has been in her own home with carers visiting 4 times a day and family on tap also, but this has now been deemed unsuitable and that she needs 24 hour care.Currently she is in the Northern General but is convinced she is in the Half Moon Pub, bless her.

awww bless her thats my local x good luck in finding somewhere ive a friend who works in a care home im a carer myself ill ask her what hers is like

My dad was admitted to hospital on Thursday last week due to severe dehydration and 2 large wounds on his leg. The hospital have reported the nursing home as a safeguarding issue. He was doing well until he went into the home. The rapid weight loss, dehydration and wounds are a disgrace. I have reported it to the Quality care commission, social services and adult safeguarding team

Please take a look at park view care home at shiregreen on woolly wood bottom.lovely modern home really good staff,we have a relative who is a resident,and we are satisfied with care,

Take a look on the CQC web sites (Inspectors of care homes etc) for any care homes in the local area, you can get a good idea from the ratings they have been given.

I used to work at a BUPA care home in Sheffield, they were very good.

I think the best thing is to go and take a look at a Care home your interested in, look at the cleanliness of the place, the staff ratio to residents and how the staff treat the residents. Think about staff qualifications, and how the staff treat each other. Also take a note of the smell of the building, hopefully it won't smell too badly of urine.

Do the hospital not recommend care homes? I thought they did.

Could your Gran not stay at home with carer's coming several times a day?

Good luck in your search.

No they don't. Hospital staff are not allowed to recommend care homes only give details of them. It's up to you as relative or friend of the person in question to do the research and leg work to ensure you place your loved one in a sutable and appropriate home.

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 18:46 ----------

My dad was admitted to hospital on Thursday last week due to severe dehydration and 2 large wounds on his leg. The hospital have reported the nursing home as a safeguarding issue. He was doing well until he went into the home. The rapid weight loss, dehydration and wounds are a disgrace. I have reported it to the Quality care commission, social services and adult safeguarding team

Well done and so you should.

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery.

No they don't. Hospital staff are not allowed to recommend care homes only give details of them. It's up to you as relative or friend of the person in question to do the research and leg work to ensure you place your loved one in a sutable and appropriate home.

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 18:46 ----------

Well done and so you should.

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery.

Edited by Mr Bloom

Don't hold your breath waiting for the cqc to do much but I hope your dad gets better in a better place. As an aside you are now within your rights to put a camera in his room (hidden or otherwise) and the care home can't stop you.

As For the OP take the cqc reports with a bucket of salt. Go to a home yourself - trust your nose, talk to reletives and talk to whoever runs the place. Don't ring in advance, just show up.