White Lion, Heeley

Looks like since the change in management the pub has gone downhill very quickly.

Poor beer range, beers advertised as something different to what is actually served (John Smiths Bitter labelled as Timothy Taylors Landlord - one is brown, malty and caramel flavoured, the other is pale and hoppy!), short measures, grumpy manager, poor service and poor hygiene.

Seems to be a resultant lack of customers.

Shame, wonderful heritage pub with so much potential to be a great part of the Heeley beer triangle - well in fact I would argue it was before with good beer, live music and a friendly crowd.

I'm lead to believe the current arrangements will only be for a year when Punch Taverns will be offering a new lease out.

Shame. Lovely inside. Needs to be decent otherwise discerning drinkers will not budge from Sheaf n Bros Arms.

Hi Andy (and every one else)

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at the pub. In the spirit of transparency, I'll let you know what's going on.

Currently the pub is in the hands of a holding company whilst the transfer of ownership goes through. Never a great thing for a pub, but there was little choice in the matter due to the time involved in getting all the legals sorted. As a result of the tenancy conditions imposed on a holding company, it means that they do not qualify to order beers outside of a stock range and this then means that they have not been able to get the normal mainstays such as Jaipur, Sequoia, Moonshine etc.

Myself and my partner are the new owners going in. This is for a 5 year lease as a minimum and we take ownership on Monday 23rd Feb.

We've been residents of the area for 15 years and have been regulars at The White for roughly the same amount of time so we're fully aware of what the pub was, what it is now and what it also needs to get back on track. It goes without saying that we're fully committed on making the place great again.

I'll be posting on here as things go along and develop, particularly as we have some big changes planned - diversifying the music, a focus on community (especially local concerns and charities), a reinvestment in the beer and malt whisky offer and, possibly most importantly, a review of the pricing! There's a lot more but this isn't the thread for that info.

Like said at the start, I'm sorry you had a bad experience and its very frustrating for us as it is out of our hands until next week. Please do pop in and try again. And AndyC - your first pint is on me!

Many thanks, Jon and Mandy

Have to agree with Andy but the pub has been in decline for quite a while, trying to ask some of the staff about having the same old beers on and little choice mainly got just blank stares and "I only work here"

Good luck Jon and I really hope you turn it back into the pub it used to be.

Thanks Dave, that's appreciated. Keep an eye out on here as we announce what's happening and please introduce yourself when you next pop in.

Will do Jon, its one pub I enjoy visiting even though its gone downhill a little regards the choice of beers you can never take away the charm of the pub and I have enjoyed some of the bands you had on, all the best to you and Mandy.

Good Luck white Lion. This has always been my favourite Heeley Pub, was in Saturday for the first time in a couple of years. I hope to be back real soon.

This does sound positive news, I suggest you all go down and support the pub and enjoy it once Jon and Mandy are in there (from next week) running things. In the meantime I wouldn't bother.

Always nice to hear from an enthusiastic new management, hope it is a success.

will you be having bands on again ?

Yes indeed! We are continuing the live music tradition and also expanding the range to include new items like Martin Bedford's Honeybee Blues Club. We'll be using the events section on SF to advertise as well as the website, Facebook etc so keep an eye out on there.

Hi Andy (and every one else)

Sorry to hear of your bad experience at the pub. In the spirit of transparency, I'll let you know what's going on.

Currently the pub is in the hands of a holding company whilst the transfer of ownership goes through. Never a great thing for a pub, but there was little choice in the matter due to the time involved in getting all the legals sorted. As a result of the tenancy conditions imposed on a holding company, it means that they do not qualify to order beers outside of a stock range and this then means that they have not been able to get the normal mainstays such as Jaipur, Sequoia, Moonshine etc.

Myself and my partner are the new owners going in. This is for a 5 year lease as a minimum and we take ownership on Monday 23rd Feb.

We've been residents of the area for 15 years and have been regulars at The White for roughly the same amount of time so we're fully aware of what the pub was, what it is now and what it also needs to get back on track. It goes without saying that we're fully committed on making the place great again.

I'll be posting on here as things go along and develop, particularly as we have some big changes planned - diversifying the music, a focus on community (especially local concerns and charities), a reinvestment in the beer and malt whisky offer and, possibly most importantly, a review of the pricing! There's a lot more but this isn't the thread for that info.

Like said at the start, I'm sorry you had a bad experience and its very frustrating for us as it is out of our hands until next week. Please do pop in and try again. And AndyC - your first pint is on me!

Many thanks, Jon and Mandy

Are you buying the pub or taking a lease from a pubco?