Serious assault on nurse at NGH

The penalty should be high. any person assaults a nurse, a doctor or any of the emergency or caring services should go to prison. Illness would be a contributory factor in mitigation but there should be a presumption of imprisonment. Drunkenness or drug taking would add to the sentence not lower it. 12 months first offence 5years thereafter, no remission.

Why is assaulting a nurse worse than assaulting a bricklayer? I don't understand? Are nurses worth more than bricklayers?

What about hospital porters? Do they fall into your special category?

Not that I disagree with someone who commits a serious assault going to prison, but I don't understand why one person is deemed more important than another.

What about nursing home staff? Or are they in the private sector so they don't count?

Assaulting a nurse should carry an automatic sentence of 10 years in prison. No ifs, no buts.

Because a bricklayers job is not one that is potentially saving your life on a daily basis.

A nurse, doctor etc are not allowed to walk away.

Because a bricklayers job is not one that is potentially saving your life on a daily basis.

A nurse, doctor etc are not allowed to walk away.

Policeman/woman?

Lollypop lady? - are they allowed to walk away?

The aforementioned porter?

Assaulting a nurse should carry an automatic sentence of 10 years in prison. No ifs, no buts.

What, even if you're completely off your head on some medication that you're having a reaction to? Seems a bit harsh.

---------- Post added 18-02-2015 at 21:30 ----------

Well, that's okay then......:rolleyes:

Well it's not, but I don't see what you could do to prevent it apart from sedating everybody when they come in.

Policeman/woman?

Lollypop lady? - are they allowed to walk away?

The aforementioned porter?

Assaulting a police officer is no different from assault on any one else.

Lollipop lady?... If they are being assaulted, yes they can walk away.

Assaulting a police officer is no different from assault on any one else.

Lollipop lady?... If they are being assaulted, yes they can walk away.

Are you saying a nurse cant refuse to treat someone ?

Are you saying a nurse cant refuse to treat someone ?

I know of a nurse that said as an off the cuff remark to a patient who was being extremely verbally abusive to her, "If I was you I wouldn't talk to me like that because I'm the one with the painkillers".

He put a complaint in that she was threatening to withhold treatment, which led to a 9 month suspension and eventually her not returning to her original job.

I know of a nurse that said as an off the cuff remark to a patient who was being extremely verbally abusive to her, "If I was you I wouldn't talk to me like that because I'm the one with the painkillers".

He put a complaint in that she was threatening to withhold treatment, which led to a 9 month suspension and eventually her not returning to her original job.

So if a man thumps a nurse, he or she doesn't have the right to walk away. He or she has to treat them and continue to be thumped until unconscious or dead?

So if a man thumps a nurse, he or she doesn't have the right to walk away. He or she has to treat them and continue to be thumped until unconscious or dead?

All I am stating is something that happened. When a patient has thumped a nurse it's obviously the situation has gotten out of hand and the damage is done.

All I am stating is something that happened. When a patient has thumped a nurse it's obviously the situation has gotten out of hand and the damage is done.

Sorry, that situation is absurd and shouldn't have happened on all fronts. But it does not negate my previous point

Sorry, that situation is absurd and shouldn't have happened on all fronts. But it does not negate my previous point

What it does show that an allegation of withholding treatment gets taken very seriously by the NHS and the nurses professional bodies, and it can have serious consequences for those that are accused of this.

So a question of "can a nurse refuse to treat somebody" doesn't have a yes or no answer.